Manufacturers' guarantees

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Bought (another!) TV last night.
Normally, I chuck all of the bumph that comes with them away but last night, I didn't.

When you buy something, your contract (and therefore, guarantee) is with the retailer.
So.........
....is there any point at all in completing the manufacturer's guarantee form (part of the aforementioned bumph), unless it is a longer cover period than that which could reasonably be expected from the retailer?
Finally, who defines "reasonable", as in length of retailer cover obligation?

Sponsored Links
Generally they want you to register for marketing purposes or charge loads for extended warranty.

I think anything within 12 months is reasonable. Unless you have to mail in for the extended (up to) 3 year warranty some firms offer, I don't bother. Just keep the receipt.

They will jump through hoops not to honour their guaratees anyway. Bit like insurance companies and builders.

Sponsored Links
Finally, who defines "reasonable", as in length of retailer cover obligation?
In theory under EU regulations (soon to be lost in the UK), that obligation is for the 'expected life' of an item - up to 6 years.

However try claiming for that and you'll be bogged down in paperwork forever!

The only guarantees that I think are worth it are those offered by Richer Sounds...
(And the only ones I have ever taken out)

Six years for 10% of purchase cost and (recently introduced) money back if you don't claim!

John Lewis are selling an added care plan with their products which is completely fraudulent because under the sale of goods act all products sold now have a minimum guarantee of 5 years.

So what John Lewis (and it's not just John Lewis doing this) is fraud. Why they haven't been picked up on this yet is beyond belief, especially when you look at the company reviews - it's going down the pan. I reckon John Lewis will be the next highstreet retailer to go bust.

I bought something from amazon it broke they replaced free of charge as per warranty and then it broke again they told me they no longer provide said item due to faults and will provide a refund I said I wanted to keep item so they said the manufacturer would then be the people to talk to for a replacement which I did and got a replacement from them. So in that circumstance while amazon were happy to honour warranty if they physically can’t and you do not want a refund the manufacturer has an obligation to help.

The psperwork is not all about who holds the guarantee and whether it is of any value or not. With a lot of electrical, and other items, there is a lot of responsibility on the manufacturers to be able to recall products, or arrange safety updates if required. Think dishwashers, fridges, tumble dryers etc that have caught fire.

Probably unlikely with tv, but if the manufacturer doesn't know who owns an item they can't inform the owner of any extra safety information that happens after purchase, but within expected lifetime of a product.

Up to you if you let them know you own their product, but it does have some benefits.

John Lewis are selling an added care plan with their products which is completely fraudulent because under the sale of goods act all products sold now have a minimum guarantee of 5 years.

So what John Lewis (and it's not just John Lewis doing this) is fraud. Why they haven't been picked up on this yet is beyond belief, especially when you look at the company reviews - it's going down the pan. I reckon John Lewis will be the next highstreet retailer to go bust.

Not a fully true statement.

5 year guarantee on clothing, cars, food, phones, etc ?

Sale of goods act has been replaced anyway.

I didn't know we were losing this.

theresa is quibbling over keeping protection for local and regional produce protected origin names. The EU say it's important.

For example Champagne; Cornish Clotted Cream; Stilton Cheese; Melton Mowbray pork pies; Normandy butter.

Why would she argue about that? Is there a fake champagne factory in her constituency? What will she gain from allowing a Belgian factory to make Dundee Marmalade?

Sponsored Links
Back