Many computers in office. How many circuit breakers?

Sponsored Links
Oh poo :oops:

Write out 100 lines

I must read the responses before I go shouting my big mouth off

Oh poo :oops: Write out 100 lines ..... I must read the responses before I go shouting my big mouth off ......
We're all guilty of that, one time or another!!

When, many moons ago, I devised a method (involving pens and sellotape) to semi-automate the process of writing 100 lines, I ended up with a very sore backside - back in the days when punishment meant punishment :) ... and if, like you, I'd still only done 43, my backside would probably have been even more sore!

Kind Regards, John.

Fit 3 x 32A, 30mA RCBOs and run two 4mm radials off each RCBO.
What is the perceived advantage of running two radials off each RCBO? Since each RCBO would then 'suffer from' the combined earth leakage of the two radial circuits, you might as well just have one radial for each RCBO (and save a bit of cable), mightn't you?

Kind Regards, John.

I was just going overboard, John.

He said he needs 30 double sockets - 60 outlets - 21 of which will be computers........39 for god knows what.
Because he used the word 'overload', I've given him 32A per radial - 192A total - he's not overloading that. :D

As for saving of cable......you are assuming that you know the layout of the room and where the sockets are situated in relation to the CU. :)

Sponsored Links
Fit 3 x 32A, 30mA RCBOs and run two 4mm radials off each RCBO.
I was just going overboard, John. He said he needs 30 double sockets - 60 outlets - 21 of which will be computers........39 for god knows what. Because he used the word 'overload', I've given him 32A per radial - 192A total - he's not overloading that. :D
You've lost me there. In what sense have you "given him 32A per radial - 192A total" when those 6 radials are protected by 3 x 32A RCBOs? He would surely overload those circuits with >96A shared equally across the circuits in exactly the same way as he would with just one radial per RCBO? Also, as I said before, as far as earth leakage is concerned, that will be shared amoungst just 3 RCBOs, even though there are 6 radials, so the 'two radials per RCBO' does not help earth leaakage-wise. All-in-all, I still don't see what's gained by having two radials per RCBO.

As for saving of cable......you are assuming that you know the layout of the room and where the sockets are situated in relation to the CU. :)
Indeed. I intended to write 'possibly save cable', but didn't :)

Kind Regards, John.

You know what, John, I haven't even read your post before typing this reply :oops: :oops:

I've just been down for a coffee and on my way back upstairs it suddenly dawned on me what a ridiculous statement I'd made ha ha.

It's 32+ Amps for each cable - but obviously, he can't pull that - what a knob (me, I mean)

You know what, John, I haven't even read your post before typing this reply :oops: :oops: I've just been down for a coffee and on my way back upstairs it suddenly dawned on me what a ridiculous statement I'd made ha ha. It's 32+ Amps for each cable - but obviously, he can't pull that - what a knob (me, I mean)
No problem - I was just getting a bit worried that maybe I was going a bit mad :)

Cheers, John.

Trying my best to follow this so far, given I'm not a sparky myself.

The consumer unit has a RCD in the last position. I take it from the advice so far that the RCD should be moved so it only protects the circuits that don't run computers (e.g. the air conditions, lighting circuit, kitchen mains sockets) and then have the Circuit Breakers that cover the circuits which computers are typically plugged into "outside" of the RCD or it will trip the whole time.

(And if I do this I have to warn all users that there may be earth leakage or something.)

I don't know what the bit about high integrity earthing means, I'm afraid. Tried to Google but couldn't get what in means in practice when we're running now cabling for these 3 new sockets.

Just to confuse you, it may turn out that I have another 1 or 2 places on the Consumer Unit as some of those CB are covering just a single double socket so I can extend those to an entire circuit.[/i]

After reading your other posts on this and other forums I have come to the conclusion that you don't have a competant electrician on site, and you are muddling through this yourself.

Please get a competant electrician to do the design and install!

I gave you a link that tells all

You'll need to install ADDITIONAL earth cabling NOW to comply.

Your electrician must know about this, get another if he doesnt.

sorry but the link is too much electrical jargon - even for a guy with a degree in the engineering like me :)

do we need addtional earth cabling even if those sockets aren't covered by a RCD?

do we need additional earth circuit that connects all the double sockets or something?

sorry for all the questions - electrician is subcontracted and I have to communicate to him via contractor as he doesn't speak english so have to double check everything. (he may even me competant, but I don't know)

when it's all done, I've got a "proper" electrician to safety test it

In simple terms pc psu's leak, the leak might be 3-4 mA per unit, so the risk is that having a rcd with 30mA set could trip if you have 7 pr so units on the ring(s) under the same rcd.

Alternative could be an rcbo board, say 4mm radials 30 amp 30mA rcbo's with a strict limit of 5 pc's per radial. The issue being how to prevent more than 5 pc's being plugged in per installed radial.

A solution being to have all pc power leads adapted with twisted earth plugs and sockets, thus the restriction is designed in.

I agree. That diagram is dreadful.
Also it is an old (16th edition) text. Now superceded by BS7671 (2008).

Section 543.7 refers.
An easier guide to all this is in Wiring MAtters

However, for normal folk Section 7.6 in the On Site Guide gives a better description.

ashirusnw - surely you/the electrician has a copy of the OSG?

You need to sort this out or there wil be real issues when a lot of stuff is switched on.

Option 6
6. - connection of the equipment to the supply through a double wound transformer, a protective conductor complying with one of the arrangements 1 - 5 above connecting exposed conductive parts to a point on the secondary winding.
is the best way to supply equipment that will have large live to earth leakage currents when supplied direct from a mains supply.

It may not comply with regulations but supplying banks of equipment using a centre tapped 230 volt secondary, centre tap to true ground, reduces the un-balance of earth leakage currents created by the filters. It does introduce a potential but managable hazard that the "neutral" is no longer close to earth potential and this may prevent this method being used on systems installed under BS7671 accreditation.

For some high reliability installations, ( such as un-attended hill top radio stations ) the use of an isolation transformer with it's centre tap grounded and connected the CPC of sockets is considered the only option for some equipment.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back