Masonry paint - smooth/textured? retail/trade?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ours is a large Victorian house with a smooth concrete render. We're having the roof redone and while the scaffolding is up I plan to repaint the house even though it was only last done 6 years ago.

One side of the house is next to the road and gets quite dirty - so I'm thinking textured paint will hold the dirt. Not good

The other side of the house is very exposed to wind and rain. It's had numerous coats of paint, the latest coat is ok but the weather has detiorated it particualrly as in places the concrete render behind is a bit damp due to ingress at eaves level. Previous coats have been partly scraped off, so it's a bit untidy, there are also some cracks to fill. I'm wondering if textured would be better for this? Will textured hide the cracks/imperfection better and will it withstand the wind and lashing rain we get here better.

So what about having textured on the two sides that are exposed to the weather and smooth on the others?

Also in the light of the above are there any advantages in trade paint?

Any thoughts on all that? BTW I'm planning to use dulux.

Sponsored Links
Perhaps think about a self cleaning masonary paint at least on the road side of the house. Johnstones do one and if the price is ok do the whole lot or do the rest of house in the normal stormshield. Personally wouldn't use Dulux as they've fallen out of favour with many decorators. Definately go for trade though, if you don't like the look of stormshield go for a pliolite based masonary paint. Its always worth washing the walls down first with an antifungicidal wash, its important to remove surface dirt and grime to allow good adhesion thus prolonging the lifespan of the paint. Any ingress of water behind the render is going to cause problems so you must get it sorted. Fill cracks with toupret masonary filler don't really on paint to fill these areas. Be sure to spot prime filler with 30% watered down masonary paint or an exterior primer.

Thanks dcdec

I've used Johnstones emulsion indoors before and I'd kind of decided never to use Johnstones paint again - the coverage just seemed really poor.

Is Johnstones masonry paint better than their emulsion in your view?

Obviously this self cleaning stuff is quite a bit more expensive - do you think it's worth the money?

And what about using textured on the weather beaten side of the house - worthwhile or not?

Sponsored Links
Johnstones Trade Stormshield (waterbased) is not much cop at all, you'll be looking at 4 coats for a good solid finish, the opacity is terrible. I use Dulux Trade Weathershield either smooth or textured (for filling hairline cracks). I know what dcdec is saying about falling out with Dulux and with most of their products I have too but their masonry paint is still very, very good. As dcdec says, Toupret (Murex) for any larger cracks but be sure to flatten it just before it starts to dry as it dries rock hard.

I too use dulux weathershield as my preferred masonry paint. If you are requiring a harder wearing masonry try the dulux weathershield all seasons. Its a great long lasting solvent based masonry paint.

The weathershield doesn't chalk which is how the paint keeps itself clean and it will be filthy in no time from the op's description. There are other self cleaning paints if the stormshield is no good although it may well be worth the extra effort for longevity

The weathershield doesn't chalk which is how the paint keeps itself clean and it will be filthy in no time from the op's description. There are other self cleaning paints if the stormshield is no good although it may well be worth the extra effort for longevity

Haven't used the johnstones self cleaning yet so can't comment on it. I have however used wickes self cleaning and was pleasantly surprised by its performace.

I have used wickes self cleaning masonry paint and was impressed. Had a bit of a funny smell but was good tackle.

So has anyone used the johnstones self cleaning paint? It's a lot of money to spend if it's no cop. Based on my experience with johnstone emulsion I can well believe the comment anbout stormshield needing 4 coats!

As for Wicks - got to be honest and say I'm very suspicious of store brand paints!
Edit - doesn't look like Wicks does the selfcleaning stuff anymore

Can't comment on the Johnstones self-cleaning masonry my view was on the standard stuff sorry. Johnstones Trade emulsions are excellent in my opinion but the masonry range let's them down. Wickes sell some very good stuff, don't be put off by the big store image, it is far, far better than B&Q or Homebase stuff. For example, most of the ladders they used to sell were actually made by Youngman, one of the best manufacturers of ladders, but were labelled up as Wickes's. Pretty much the same with a lot of their stuff I think.

Johnstones sell mainly to the trade. If they weren't good then the trade wouldn't use them and they'd go bust.

Johnstones sell mainly to the trade. If they weren't good then the trade wouldn't use them and they'd go bust.
Johnstones have some excellent products but when it comes to exterior coatings I tend to use weathershield. That's just my personal preference. Other people may prefer johnstones, santex etc. Each to their own so to speak as these other brands are also very good.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back