Painting pebbledash

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm thinking of painting the front of our house which is covered in pebbledash - small sharp edged pebble. Overall the pebbledash/render is an decent condition although there looks a bit uneven (some dips) in parts.

So I'd like to paint it in such a way as to produce a nice clean look but with the option to hide any uneven bits that show up once painted.

Is using a textured paint an option here? I'm thinking of a course but smooth texture rather than fine/sand texture. Would it magnify the lumpiness of the pebble or smooth it out? or would smooth paint be better and then try to deal with any uneven bits later by using a bit of textured pain on those bits before a top coat is applied?

Any other ideas welcome.

Also how should I prepare it?
Any paint recommendations?
Any other tips?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Has It been painted before?

Use smooth. It will go further, the textured stuff is hard work, and IMHO gets dirtier quicker as dust clings to the rough texture.

There are a few topics below which might help you more.

Thanks.

One thing that has come up from reading some threads on this forum is the potential problem of painting non-cavity walls. It sounds like it can create damp problems.

Some external paints are described as micro-porous or breathable but I'm not sure which ones would be most suitable. I've noticed some natural paints available made from silicates and lime which are completely breathable since they don't create a skin at all. They look pretty pricey.

Does anyone know anything about this?

Sponsored Links
Textured paints can hold the dirt badly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back