Mastic peeling from newly instavlled PVCU windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, - I had newly installed PVCU windows (4months ago). Recently, I observed the masctic where the window meets with the window ledge is peeling. Any idea why this is happening? Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Hi,

is what they have used rubbery, shiny and flexible? or quite hard? and has a dull finish.. that you think can be painted over.

if its the latter, could be they have used caulking rather than silicone outside.

Caulking doesnt bode well with cold weather, frost and things.

So the normal rule is, caulking for inside, silicone for outside.

not like silicone to peel from brickwork.. normally it bonds quite well to plastic and brick.

Thanks! More details:
The mastic is looking like a rubber and feels like it with white colour (not possible to paints over it). When touched, it is 'coming away' like rubbing away with pieces coming of it (when touched with a finger). A piece of wood flicks it away fully allowing water to get underneath. It does not seem to the plastic well, but it seems to be sticking to the brick.

Get them back to re-do it if you are not happy as water can get in.
There could be a number of reasons for this, poor quality silicon, surfaces were dusty when it was applied or if the surfaces were wet at all.

Sponsored Links
Probably wrong type of silicone used, theres low mod, high mod, neutral cure etc etc

Without meaning to hijack, can you tell me (and everyone else) which is the best for uPVC windows as I've seen this sort of problem loads of times - usually as a result of using all purpose silicone.

I've been told low mod in the past but the more confirmation the better! It may well have been you, crank39. :confused:

Probably wrong type of silicone used, theres low mod, high mod, neutral cure etc etc

Without meaning to hijack, can you tell me (and everyone else) which is the best for uPVC windows as I've seen this sort of problem loads of times - usually as a result of using all purpose silicone.

I've been told low mod in the past but the more confirmation the better! It may well have been you, crank39. :confused:

Probably was, this link will explain better than i could....

http://www.thewindowman.co.uk/sealants.htm

I come across this nearly everyday when inspecting, trouble is window fitters just seal up with whatever they have to hand

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back