Material for new gravel / aggregate 1/4 circle driveway

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

We've already got a brick front driveway and some slabs going up the side of the house.

There is a separate garage off to the side of the house (around 30ft away, but I'm guessing that's not relevant). The garage is parallel with the road, with the door opening directly onto the lawn (no idea why it was built this way - only been here for a year).

I want to put a quarter circle in front of it so that I can park one or other of our cars in that area and I understand that we may need planning permission for a solid drive (Scotland) but I'd prefer gravel / stones anyway as I'm hoping that will be easier for me to lay.
I've looked online, here and on other sites, and I understand about having a permeable membrane, a depth of 20-50mm and the edging, so my only (current!) question is what to use.

We have two extremes of vehicles; my wife's Fiat 500 with its tiny little racing slicks, and my L200 pickup with 256/70/17 AT tyres.

I've read that 10mm gravel is a decent size to use for driveways but I worry about it getting stuck in the larger tyres. Is there any detriment to me going with larger size chuckies?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
larger stone will require a bigger depth to get proper coverage. The deep the gravel the more it will rut.

Do not put a membrane directly under the gravel it has no purpose. Its a bit like the pva new plaster before painting myth...

No weed will come through 150mm of sub-base apart from Knotweed or marestail and a membrane will not stop them.

If anything put a geotextile membrane under the sub-base but this is for ground stabilisation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back