Timber forward extension to garage...how to?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

my initial thoughts was to build a car port in front of the double garage, but having second thoughts I thought, why not just build a timber extension with a flat roof??

In regards to planning, I think I can do it under permitted development. The house is not near a road, from the front of the garage to the front of the house is about 7.5m distance. the whole driveway (which goes in front of neighbours house) is part of my land as per photos in blue, and it would be a flat roof, max 2.5m height.

Would you think is feasible to do it as per my rough sketch? I'd keep the garage doors in the brick garage, literally would be a timber extension so I can keep the cars in...car port, but closed. Maybe even extend to the side of the house, but I understand if its attached to the house then needs planning...but if I leave a 1" gap... then doesnt need planning as its not attached anymore hahaha!

..would it be possible to build on the tarmac? or would it have to be concrete?
how would you do this if at all?

thank you
JP

Property boundaries
52477160558_2e60000e6a_c.jpg

Here you can see on satellite the boundaries, and how far back from the house the garage is. blue circle is where I'd plan to do the extension
52477160568_f59d4b4daf_c.jpg

rough sketch
52476893039_73139f8626_c.jpg

Sponsored Links
Personally I wouldn't do it cos it'll look really ugly.
Permissions wise maybe, think building control might get sweaty about an enclosed timber garage on the boundary.

Personally I wouldn't do it cos it'll look really ugly.
Permissions wise maybe, think building control might get sweaty about an enclosed timber garage on the boundary.

hi, yes understand the how it might look, but the cars are more important than the looks and they are too long to fit in a standard double garage. but would make it look as best as possible. ideally I'd extend the garage forward in brick, but that would cost a bomb, so for now I'm trying to find options.
about the boundary, mate of mine nearby, got planning approved for a 6x7m timber garage, planning because is to the front of his house and one side of the garage is right against the next door neighbour converted garage....

Didnt think would be a problem being next to boundary as long as under 2.5m height, I think it is? sits under permited development?

Sponsored Links
Does the house, or even the estate have PD rights?

yes, its not a new estate where you cant even put a shed up without asking 20 different entities about it, its an old estate from late 80s early 90s.
lots of houses in this estate have had work under PD, like loft conversions, rear extensions, etc,etc

But taking away the fact it might be ugly and permitted development, I'd be quite interested in knowing views from others if it could be built on the tarmac or I'd have to do a concrete base?
My initial thought was really just to do a lean over car port kind of thing from the garage forward...but then thought, why not do that but stick some doors on the end, better to protect from the elements.

I'd forget covering the bit with the gate and bring it forward with a pitched roof matching the original, it wouldn't be a huge amount more materials wise to do the pitched roof

I'd forget covering the bit with the gate and bring it forward with a pitched roof matching the original, it wouldn't be a huge amount more materials wise to do the pitched roof

I see what you mean, so following the same roof as the brick garage right? but at that height I'd need planning permission wouldn't I?
because that little path and gate on the right side is for the neighbour house (there's only a path that goes from his front door to that side door.

It would certainly look much better than a flat roof, but wonder if planning might reject for some reason...

A planning application is just over £200 so not much in the scheme of building costs for the job, if it does get rejected for some reason then you'll still have the option to build the flat roofed garage first mentioned under pd.

A planning application is just over £200 so not much in the scheme of building costs for the job, if it does get rejected for some reason then you'll still have the option to build the flat roofed garage first mentioned under pd.
that's quite a good point to be fair.
and do you have any idea if it could be built on top of the tarmac or would need a concrete slab? (that would be quite a cost to add)

It's probably possible to build straight off the tarmac but I wouldn't.

If your new part will be over 30sqm then you'll have to apply for building regs in which case they will tell you what it needs to be built on.

Id say a concrete slab is unnecessary, the tarmac will be be fine for an interior surface, I think I probably would dig a strip either side and lay a few courses of bricks and then build the frame on those,

My reasoning is it will allow you to fit a dpc so you shouldn't get any issues with damp rotting the frame, and your drive will be sloped the bricks and mortar will allow you to bring this level giving your something level to build off. If not your going to have to pack and level your wooden frame straight off the the ground.

Ah yes I see, agree with your advice, to lay the course of bricks and dpc.

in terms of building regs... well, the brick garage is 5m wide, so this "extension" I was looking at 5m wide and at least 6m deep - that would still stay behind the front of the house..and that long because the car is 18ft long.... that would take me just to 30sqm, but can always do a couple of inch shorter so it doesnt need building regs inspection. - one less headache.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back