Maximum electrical drain on a single power socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What is the maximum number of electrical devices that I can connect to a single mains socket ?

I have several computers that I'd like to hook up using a couple of 4 gangs, but only one socket in the room. I assume this would be dangerous? But my friend said that some kettles would use much more than several computers. He said it's the drain on the overal main circuit that needs to be considered, not an individual socket? I not sure?

Can anyone offer any advice?

(I have one of those surge protectors too, if that helps?)

Sponsored Links
3 kW worth. Just add up the power rating of each appliance and make sure it's less the 3 kW.

A PC is no more than 500 W, normally.

cplawson said:
add up the power rating of each appliance
-hard to do with PC's as they usually have overrated power supplies eg it may have a 500w psu (ie capable of 500w), but may run at 200 -300peak, but if you take the max figure you wont go wrong!

you can keep an eye on it with one of these.

if you pull much more than 13amp through a fuse for a long time it will blow, (although its not always best to put that to the tet!) so make sure you have a fused plug directly in the socket, dont be tempted to use one of the plug in '3 way blocks' as they often aren't fused. 4 way leads are pretty safe, there is a danger if you tie two many together that the resistance is high but dont go silly and you will be fine.

Sponsored Links
L97BF.jpg

;)

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=48036&doy=search

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back