Maybe I am too ambitious: lean-to made usable.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This may be too ambitious a project but oh well... Any advice or criticisms gratefully received.

I have a relatively large lean to that is effectively useless and I plan to make a functional little workshop and gym space

It's a single skin brick lean to with brick walls between 1 and 1.5m high and then the walls above being wood cladding externally and plasterboard internally. The roof is pvc. The floor is concrete and was, as far as we can tell, just layed over rubble and then soil. The houses posterior air brick also vents into this space.

The biggest issue with the space is damp, no tanking or damp proofing was done at construction so it's all a game of catch up. Half the walls have mould of some kind and they just look like crap

My plan is to put in floors and walls.

Floor: joists on top of either those robust decking podiums or water impermeable rock slabs, then plywood and then normal flooring - likely lvt or laminate

Bricks walls - external face: if I can get around the sides I will clear a space between the walls and anything else down to the base of the wall and apply some tanking.

Brick walls - internal face: fungicide, paint (tank?) and then battens and then plywood. Do I need vapour stuff or a anything else?

Non brick walls: eventually replaced with either nicer siding or with pvc so it's a more formal conversatory vibe

Ceiling: eventually replace but seal up gaps for now. Fix the guttering as it's doing sod all at the moment.

Is this plan mental or stupid? What have I missed?

Sponsored Links
I think it would be easier to demolish and start again to make it fit for purpose as you will never know if any of the things you propose to do will be effective.

I think it would be easier to demolish and start again to make it fit for purpose as you will never know if any of the things you propose to do will be effective.
Honestly, was the first choice but can't afford the disruption or money

Those air bricks on the house wall are there to prevent the house floor joists from rotting by allowing free movement of fresh air - ie they should be able to 'breath' fresh air

Sponsored Links
Those air bricks on the house wall are there to prevent the house floor joists from rotting by allowing free movement of fresh air - ie they should be able to 'breath' fresh air
I am aware, that is why we had it unblocked; it was filled with concrete before we moved in

This may be too ambitious a project but oh well... Any advice or criticisms gratefully received.

I have a relatively large lean to that is effectively useless and I plan to make a functional little workshop and gym space

It's a single skin brick lean to with brick walls between 1 and 1.5m high and then the walls above being wood cladding externally and plasterboard internally. The roof is pvc. The floor is concrete and was, as far as we can tell, just layed over rubble and then soil. The houses posterior air brick also vents into this space.

The biggest issue with the space is damp, no tanking or damp proofing was done at construction so it's all a game of catch up. Half the walls have mould of some kind and they just look like crap

My plan is to put in floors and walls.

Floor: joists on top of either those robust decking podiums or water impermeable rock slabs, then plywood and then normal flooring - likely lvt or laminate

Bricks walls - external face: if I can get around the sides I will clear a space between the walls and anything else down to the base of the wall and apply some tanking.

Brick walls - internal face: fungicide, paint (tank?) and then battens and then plywood. Do I need vapour stuff or a anything else?

Non brick walls: eventually replaced with either nicer siding or with pvc so it's a more formal conversatory vibe

Ceiling: eventually replace but seal up gaps for now. Fix the guttering as it's doing sod all at the moment.

Is this plan mental or stupid? What have I missed?
Post some pictures

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back