MCB Brands

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a MCB module at home and need to replace one of the MCBs.

The brand name is Steeple. No one has heard of it. Can anyone out there help?

Sponsored Links
I to have a Steeple Consumer Unit, which I need additional MCB's for and have been unable to find a source locally. However, I have just found that Steeple are sold by Denmans Electrical Wholesalers Ltd. (according to their website). Check it out for yourself here

If my local branch cannot help I will post another update. :)

Most of the modern MCB's are a standard fit accross all types of CU enclosures so you do not necessarily have to get a steeple MCB. Best bet is to remove one and compare size / fitments against other available makes

alexnic said:
Most of the modern MCB's are a standard fit accross all types of CU enclosures so you do not necessarily have to get a steeple MCB. Best bet is to remove one and compare size / fitments against other available makes

Mixing and matching of MCB's is not a good idea. It may be possible to do, and certainly as a short term emergency is safe and acceptable, but for permanent use it is always better to use the same manufacturer.

Buying cheap MCB's is a false economy, it always better to stick to the established brands that have a track record in the electrical industry and are recognised by all contractors and wholesalers.

Such brands are:

MK
Crabtree
Hager
Merlin-Gerin
Wylex

There are other brands, but I would not personally recommend them.

Sponsored Links
Modern MCB's differ slightly, like MEM ones have the DIN clip at the top, and Wylex have the DIN clip at the bottom etc.

The method of connecting to the busbar also differs between makes - it is irritating that when the DIN standard was originally written, the method of connection was never standardised onto one format.

Steeple is indeed the own-brand of Denmans Electrical.

If you can't get to Denmans, then a few other wholesalers can get hold of the parent company's gear. GE make the equipment for Denmans and also for the old WF range (you can still order this GE stuff from WF). Also Rexel Senate used to do GE (don't know if they still do) and Siemens market a board which is identical, which AC Electrical sell.

The labelling on the breakers may be different, but they are otherwise identical.

To add to Secures post, if AC Electrical sell it, then so will Edmundsons as they are one and the same company...Eddies bought out ACE several years ago to compete better with WF.

somewhat out of date but for future reference

THE "GE RANGE SERIES ER "
ARE IDENTICAL TO THE STEEPLE GREEN STICKEREDE E SERIES

DENMANS SUPPLIED THESE WHEN I ORDERED STEEPLE BREAKERS.

'Mixing and matching of MCB's is not a good idea'

Apart from the obvious fact that they look out of place, what is the actual harm in doing this (Provided the busbar connection methods were compatible as many are these days)?

As long as it makes good contact with the bus bar, the cover fits, etc, nothing really too much, but a cu thats mix and match has not been subject to the same testing as one using OEM parts

Hager say:

Fitting a consumer unit made by one
manufacturer with MCBs and RCCBs from
another would make any certification null
and void and difficult to prove compliance
with the wiring regulations. Responsibility
for compliance with the regulations would
then rest with the specifier and the installer.

A consumer unit made from loose, non coordinated
components, generally assembled
on site, would be called a Partially Type
Tested Assembly (PTTA) and is not likely to
be subjected to the same rigorous testing.

O.K., so this is a really old thread, but I believe Edmundsons considered buying A C , but didn't. They are now re-named and owned by the Wolsley company.

I'm sure this is a dead thread but I'm about to try and purchase a MCB for a Steeple 8-Way CU from Denmans. I'll post the result of my efforts and let you know if this does the trick.

I also agree that fitting any other manufacturers MCB's into differing CU's is not the way to go, unless the OEM markets under a different name. I strongly recommend using like breakers for like CU's in all applications. To do otherwise can prove unsafe if fitted incorrectly.

I don't think I've ever seen an old thread ressurected so many times.

A C Electrical are indeed owned by Wolsely group and have now become Electric Centre. Their naame lives on in their ACEL own brand goods.

Further to my search for Steeple MCB's Denmans are the place to go. My requirements were met immediately and the install went without a hitch.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back