Steeple consumer unit mounting rail

Is this the same?

mBsIJwHr3tx0VVoPDDrieuA.jpg

Sponsored Links
Yes, as far as I can tell. I'll try disconnecting the busbar from the r/h mcb and see if I can lift it clear - but not today.

The peculiar thing is that the quite substantial steel rail would (I would have thought) cost more than the smaller and almost universal din rail, so why did they do something so blooming awkward!

Many thanks everyone.

The peculiar thing is that the quite substantial steel rail would (I would have thought) cost more than the smaller and almost universal din rail, so why did they do something so blooming awkward!
Quite so. I suppose the usual answer would be an attempt to tie people into having to use their proprietary-fitting MCBs etc. (assuming that's what they are.

The main 'danger' would seem to be that, even if there is some proprietary mounting system for their devices, it looks very much as if people could use other makes of device and simply 'hang them off the top flange of the rail'.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Some older Wylex units also had a drop-in MCB breaker fitting system, the lower screw was slackened off, the breaker dropped into its slot, and the screw re-tightened to grip the busbar. The back rail was a rigid metal angled strip similar to the OP's.

I certainly would remain 'surprised' if there is no proper mechanical restraint at the bottom (other than the screwed electrical connections).
You've not dealt with a Proteus consumer unit then?
I'm sure that I have dealt with them in my time, but I have to say that I don't recall such a mechanical arrangement; maybe my memory is failing me!

Kind Regards, John

When I was S/E, I fitted 100's of Steeple units like these. But we are talking late 1990's here.... ;)

From memory, the MCB's hang on the rail, then the plastic clip at the bottom engages behind a lip near the bottom of the rail.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back