MCB Colour coding

I'm not sure my life would become easier if Wylex MCB's suddenly became colour coded since I've never had a problem reading their numerical ratings.

Sponsored Links
I'm sure it wouldn't become any more difficult

It just makes life a little bit easier perhaps.
No, it would make it harder and more dangerous.

There are already different manufacturer schemes in existence, so any "standard" you impose will conflict with what's out there which would introduce the risk of people installing inappropriate MCB/cable combinations.

So any colour scheme would need numbers to be used as well, people would have to always check the number as well, and hey presto the colour becomes irrelevant.

PS, re Kanlux - why on earth does anybody need a rating between a B10 and a B16?

Sponsored Links
It just makes life a little bit easier perhaps.
There are already different manufacturer schemes in existence, so any "standard" you impose will conflict with what's out there which would introduce the risk of people installing inappropriate MCB/cable combinations.
Very true, but most things that are now standardised had to go through these steps at one time, All they would need to do is add a sticker to state wether or not the installation complies to [Standard number], and urge caution if it has pre and post standard components.

PS, re Kanlux - why on earth does anybody need a rating between a B10 and a B16?

No idea, they also make a 4A rated MCB I found somewhere last night.. They are from Poland so maybe that explains something :LOL:

You can get 1, 2, 3, 4, and 6A MCBs

I have installed 3kW dimmers that were protected by 13A MCBs

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back