MCB for radial circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A relative has been having problems with a radial circuit supplying a washing machine and tumble dryer tripping the MCB intermittently.

The Consumer unit was changed about a year ago and a periodic inspection report was supplied, looking at the pir and the CU the circuit is supplied by a 16A mcb. I understand that a radial wired in 2.5mm cable can be run off a 20A mcb, would it be in order to get the MCB uprated to prevent this nuisance tripping? I assume that although the WM is fused at 13A, the MCB is more sensitive and that is why the MCB trips rather than the fuse blowing.

At first the problem only occurred when both appliances were running at once but now they say that it happens when just the WM is operating (the washing machine is also quite new - about 18months or so).

Is the above plan of action OK or does anyone have any other suggestions please?

Sponsored Links
I could imagine the breaker tripping with both of them on. The Dryer will be pulling at least 2kw continously, the washer might be pulling 2-3kw when the heater is on.

I wouldnt think the MCB should be tripping with just the washing machine though...

firstly, is it just an MCB or is it an RCBO?
secondly, you can't just go swapping breakers willy nilly..
for a start there's the Part P notification to think about as changing breakers is definitely notifiable.
then there's the problem that as we are not there and cannot trace the route of the cable, we have no way of knowing the installation conditions and can't say for definite that the cable is suitable for a 20A breaker.. it could be that due to de-rating factors etc that 16A is the biggest breaker it can have on it..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back