Radial Circuit Overload

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
A friends has a circuit which keeps tripping on overload.
Its a radial circuit 2.5mm, with a 16mcb. Connected to this is the washing machine, tumble dryer, fridge freezer, boiler in the utility and also provides power to four double sockets in the bedroom. Their problem is when these appliances are running , when the hair dryer is switched on the mcb trips. I have told them that their is too many items connected hence the trip. What I am asking is , is their any way of getting around this without too much mess. Think it would be a bit hard to find the end of the radial, unless you have any ideas. I would then create a ring main.

Any ideas of best solution

thanks

Sponsored Links
It shouldn't be too hard to find the end.

If it's a simple radial without branches going all over the place then he'll have two cables at a number of sockets and only one cable at the end socket.

easiest thing would be, if you know the cable routing, would be make it into a 20A radial.

otherwise, you need to find the end, and loop it back to make a ring final.

Leave the radial as it is, and put in a dedicated supply for the heavy kitchen appliances.

simples

Sponsored Links
This circuit arrangement is obviously usuitable for its connected load{s}.

Most common solutions would be....

modify it to form a Ring final circuit or...
Install a dedicated Ring Final circuit for the Kitchen
Both of these solutions entail compliance with Building regs via direct contact with Local Building Authority or Via the Self Certification Scheme.

can you not go back to the last point and insert new cable take it back to the CU and make it a ring on a 32amp breaker?

easiest thing would be, if you know the cable routing, would be make it into a 20A radial.

otherwise, you need to find the end, and loop it back to make a ring final.

That's the way forward.

Ring circuits are the way backwards, especially with a lot of heavy loads on them like that.

Thanks for all the comments. I did suggest the plug off the hair dryer , but it didnt go down too well as a solution.
Think its best to look for the end and see if I can make it into a ring or maybe even try and spur off the downstairs ring main.
Still puzzled as to why someone would install a B16 radial that would be used for a utility?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back