MCB

Sponsored Links
Always stick to type B for domestic. Type C have larger surge current rating and are used more in industrial installs with more inductive loads eg. motors and many fluorescents

MORE INFO
Type / Curve : B / 2
Short Circuit response : 3-5 times current rating
Applications : Circuits with moderate inrush, mixed lighting heaters and other resistive loads

Type / Curve : C / 3
Short Circuit response : 5-10 times current rating
Applications : Higher inrush mildly inductive loads, motor drives, ballast lamps or large amounts of switching

Type / Curve : D / 4
Short Circuit response : 10-20 times current rating
Applications : Abnormally high inrush due to highly inductive loads, transformers, motors and non power factor corrected thyristor drives

I've bought MCB type C 6A, would it be OK for me to use them in a garage consumer unit providing external lighting (max 500W per circuit) and sockets

If you can guarantee the circuit impedance is low enough to trip the breaker rapidly in the event of a fault, yes, it is OK.
In practice, this will be true if the wire length is less than ~ 40m to the furthest point ( assuming wired in 1mm sq), or more like 60m if the cable is 1.5mm sq, assuming your supply to the main board is not already breaking the earth resistance rules when it supplies the socket circuits.

You do not need to worry about that length limit if the circuit is also protected by an RCD.

PS although BJS suggestion that only B types are needed for domestic installtions is generally right, #I would add that C16s can be good for small load radial power circuits for garges and workshops etc, as occasional use of high surge, but low running current loads like welding gear, compressors etc can often trip a B16 but not really justify the laying in of a B-32 radial. The same arguement is also true for some larger fridge/freezer combinations.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back