Megaflo Heating Sysytem Problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have moved in with my partner and his rented flat has Economy 7 and a Megaflo heating system (DD210). We leave it to heat for a few hours in the morning, or so we think, but can only ever get enough water to heat 1 quick shower and running bath is nigh on impossible.

Further there are two switches on the wall, he has been told one is for upper emersion and one for lower emersion but has been told not to put the lower emersion switch on as it will continually heat the water even if the E7 lower programme has not kicked in.

Can anyone offer us some advice as to how we heat our water properly.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
....been told not to put the lower emersion switch on as it will continually heat the water even if the E7 lower programme has not kicked in.

That's the wrong way round!

The lower immersion heater is for heating the tank at night by economy 7.

The upper immersion is for topping up the heat, if the water runs low during the day.

Hot water rises, and an immersion heater will heat only the water above it - the hot water is drawn from the top of the tank.

Thanks very much. In that case, should I leave the lower emersion switched on all the time or just at night? If I leave it on all the time will it become expensive?

Further, should the light be on all the time. My partner has been told that the light indicates it is charging and he is worried about spending loads on heating.

Sponsored Links
We dont know if its correctly wired or even if both heating elements are working. They only usually last about 2-5 years at the most.

The night supply should be switched on for about 6-7 hours during the night automatically.

The upper element should be left off normally.

It sounds as if you may need to have it checked by a competent heating engineer although many cannot manage electrical installations.

Similarly many electricians are not familiar with electric heating installations.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back