Megaflo vs gravity

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know there are numerous posts in the forum about megaflos and whether they are any good or not. However, what I still haven't managed to find is a nice simple pros and cons of going to a Megaflow vs a trad gravity fed system with a new pumped shower.

I found plenty of cost related negatives (and mixed opinions regarding whether they needed to be fitted by competent rather than 'certified' plumbers and whether the local auth need to know)for the megaflo but not much in the way of other negs. Not surprisingly (like the 2 plumbers we've had quotes from there are bias opinions out there) I wondered whether anyone wants to be purely objective.

So, given that who wants to real off main advantages and disadvantages of the two systems given that there are currently 2 cr*p electric showers in the house and just about the whole CH pipework and rads are being replaced.

Cheers for any input.

Sponsored Links
They're fine as long as your mains supply is good, in terms of both pressure and flow. Measure both and tell all.

to borrow a saying - once you've had megaflow you wont go back! unvented is the way to go if you want good showers. As Chris said, poor pressure in = poorer pressure out, but you can always replace the cold water mains pipe..

I would NEVER have a shower pump in my house. Too bloody noisy, especially if they happen to cavitate; I don't want to be woken up in the early hours by someone getting shower. Also, moving parts, mean they wear out eventually!

Don't dither, go for unvented mate.

Megaflow is a controled device. BCO has to be informed and it must be fitted by someone who has a ticket to fit it and non other. I would hate to think the devastation that would result if a crafted fitter installed one of these UV cylinder incorrectly- it would take out the main house anyway and damage properties around it.

Sponsored Links
Were "supposed to be saving the planet" , gravity system is fine and wont need serviceing and so many spares so will be cheaper to run will use less water so better than the environement, stick to tried and trusted (less expesive to buy and run) and better for the planet.

They're fairly narrow so will often go in an airing cupd, otherwise the loft is possible.

PVM's bucket and sponge is cheaper though.

Megaflo - pro's
Hot and cold water pressure equal and lots of it.
Potable hot water (no open tank)
One less tank to worry about (no header tank required)

Megaflo - con's
Needs TLC on a regular basis to recharge the air gap in the tank.
If you need it serviced you need a properly qualified guy to do it.

Gravity fed - pro's
Simple to understand
Cheaper to install

Gravity fed - con's
Hot water pressure is never going to be that great
Moving parts (ball cock) and overflows
Additional tank in the loft space, look out for frozen pipes.

I'm a Megaflo fan having had both types of system.

PEDANTICVINDICTIVEMAN said:
Were "supposed to be saving the planet" , gravity system is fine and wont need serviceing and so many spares so will be cheaper to run will use less water so better than the environement, stick to tried and trusted (less expesive to buy and run) and better for the planet.

Unvented people don't give a ****t about the planet, why have a bath when you can use loads more water with a power shower. (But the maintenance costs will get them in the end
cool.gif

thanks for the responses so far - at least one was a simple list ;)

htgeng said:
I don't want to be woken up in the early hours by someone getting shower
there's fat chance of someone else being up before me anyway ;)
htgeng said:
I would NEVER have a shower pump in my house. Too b****y noisy
Weird - we had one in our old house and it didn't seem that noisy to us (well, particuarly me whilst I was in the shower!)

Seriously though, is the "Hot and cold water pressure equal and lots of it. " the only real benefit of a Megaflo? The pumped shower in our old house was plenty powerful and the pressure out of our taps here seems pretty good. We don't need the loft space so aren't worried about tanks etc. However, the electric showers are cr*p therefore, decent new shower, cylinder and pump etc = £550ish, Megaflow = £1000 (although we would still need new shower heads etc). Is the £450 worth it?

What are running costs really like? What servicing do they need except the pressure 'top up' which we can do?

If you need any parts, they are EXPENSIVE, and YOU are not allowed to replace them, they have to be done by someone who should be certified. More expense.

Smegaflow, more complications, more council involvment more certificates, more spares neeeded, more water used, more expense.

htgeng said:
No. Go for the pumped system if thats what your happy with. The customer is alway right, right?

We were happy with the our old pumped shower but having never had a Megoflo we can't say whether we would be more or less happy with that, hence looking for advice.

On a Megaflo system there is only one pressure reduction valve to go wrong. I've had mine for over seven years and no problems so far.

As far as servicing, all you can do is look at it (at least that's what's happened so far!)

I suppose it really depends on whether you think the extra £450 is worth it to have a bath fill in about a minute and doing away with the need for power showers/pumps etc.

If you're happy with the pressure out of your taps then it's probably not worth it.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with the standard gravity fed set up but IMHO the Megaflo's better. Take your pick. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back