MegaFlo or Combi....?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm looking for opinions to help me make a decision.

I have just bought a 3-bed, 2bathroom house with a VERY old floor standing boiler, hot water cylinder and tank in the loft. I am looking to replace this system to achieve the following:

Reduced heating bills
Warm house

We rarely use hot water as we have an electric shower (hate baths) and all appliances run from the cold mains. I was initially going for a combi boiler as that's all I knew......then one plumber recommended MegaFlo.

My main concern is getting my house warm while being able to run an electric shower and other appliances while not spending a fortune on gas bills.

What are the differences between a combi boiler and a MegaFlo system with regards to my main objectives?

Thank you in advance :)

Sponsored Links
If using an electric to heat the water for the shower and you are happy with the performance then why change if all is well? To heat water by electric costs much more £ then via gas.

Combi does heating and water, megaflow is a replacement for your hot water tank.

I'm in the same position, I've a 25+ year old boiler that's huge and can heat the bloody house on its own.

However, and take this into consideration.....it works!
Boilers used to be fairly simple things but the new combi boilers are complex beasts, I believe.
As one plumber told me, it's old and inefficient but it works. It'll cost you an extra £50 a month in gas, during the winter, but offset that against the cost and installation of a new system.
Let's say £600 a year in gas, the new system would take at least 6 years to pay for itself and that isn't taking into consideration any potential issues with the shiny new combi in that period.

My opinion, stick with your old system if it's working.

Really you should design the system to suit the property.

In your case that would be a similar type of system to what you have.

What you fit will also be determined by your standing cold pressure and flow rate from your incoming main, hard to comment without knowing those first.

An unvented cylinder like a megaflow will work on a reduced performance on a 15mm main but would be better on a 22mm. You would want at least 2 bar pressure and 18-20 litres a min flow.

If you fit an unvented, fit a system boiler and that will heat your cylinder and heating.

If you fit a combi or system boiler, make sure the integral expansion vessel is big enough for the system, your engineer should be able to do this.

A flow and pressure test should also be carried out if you choose a combi although these are not designed for two tap operation. You also have no storage with a combi although you are only paying for the hot water that you use.

Sponsored Links
Plus more savings may be had by insulating your home better. British Gas are still running the free promotion as well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back