Switch to Megaflo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good post whatdo iknow, sealed heating systems are exactly the same, pressurised, expansion vessel and pressure relief valves, but I would not count either of them as dangerous.

Sponsored Links
These heat banks must be pretty crap if they are safe.... You couldn't heat them with gas or oil because they are flammable despite the efforts of CORGI and OFTEC and that would be dangerous.... Immersion elements or solar rely on electricity and that could be dangerous despite all the efforts of the 17th edition of the wiring regs and anyway, hot water could scald someone, so we have a heat bank filled with cold water....Thats a bit miserable for your morning wash....Ah but no... If we put water in it then there is a risk that where there is water someone might drown in some bizarre freak accident that is only real in Drivel land.. So we have a tank that is cold and filled with air.... Couldn't someone hurt themselves lifting it in to position? and how about soldering all the pipes to carry this cold air...there is a real fire risk there... But how do they get to site? if you put them in the back of a van, then the strap might break and hurt the van driver or at least causing him to be distracted and he could possibly swerve in to a queue of pensioners and children and puppies standing at a bus stop... Clear evidence, I think that you will agree that these heatbanks are absolutely lethal and should be banned NOW ;)

Sponsored Links
A vented heat bank is "failsafe", performs better, doesn't need an annual service and cost about the same. So why are you promoting an inferior far more dangerous and costly way of providing DHW?

I haven't promoted anything. By the way could you explain the Alpha CD50 you were recommending or did you think that was a heatbank?

the one thing i can say for heat banks is they can supply mains hot water, at lesser pressures and flow, than an unvented can supply.

the one thing i can say for heat banks is they can supply mains hot water, at lesser pressures and flow, than an unvented can supply.

I am in no way supporting the mad rantings of DD but I do have to disagree with that statement.

Most heat bank configurations use mains water at the full supply pressure however high that may be!

Whereas all unventeds use a pressure reducing valve to reduce it to a safe working pressure usually between 2.5 and 3.5 bar.

I would also question the long posting about unventeds. As far as I am aware the installer only needs to be qualified but NOT registered anywhere!

Nor can I see any restriction in law about an unvented installation being fitted by the Polish and then just commissioned by the G3. Gas does require the installation to be by a CORGI though!

Tony

your getting me wrong agile. alls im saying is unvented require rules of how much working pressure needed and flow rates needed.as for heatbanks these rules dont apply as much. i agree that high pressure is not good on unvented, but the only thing that will split under pressure on a heatbank is its heat exchanger, which is not exactly catestrophic.also its always good practice is to fit a prv on the supply.

Only an idiot without any knowledge of whats available on the market would install one of these ................

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akqvaZ5J1aY&feature=related

...........in someones home. :rolleyes:

Balenza, I agree....,. I would not install a tv film crew, with two pathetic sad Americans who have nothing better to do than play little boys games in someones house, please do tell where any such incident has occurred in the UK.
You have your opinion of what you think is best and you are entitled to that, but stop claiming that other peoples preferred way are dangerous in your opinion, unless you can substantiate your claims

And also higher pressures and flows as well. ..and no complex, and expensive to replace safety controls.

Not like the Alpha CD50, which of course carries all the burdens of an unvented. Certainly not what DD would usually recommend...... Unless he thought it had a thermal store.

please do tell where any such incident has occurred in the UK.

Billy Bob, you should have noticed by now the UK only becomes relevant/irrelevant according to how well or not their (Balenza, DD, WS, RH-G) argument is going.

Billy Bob, you should have noticed by now the UK only becomes relevant/irrelevant according to how well or not their (Balenza, DD, WS, RH-G) argument is going.

There is no argument about it! Unvented cylinders can go off like a rocket!!! They can take down the side of a house. Look at the YouTube links.

Does that include the unvented in a CD50's case?

There is no argument about it! Unvented cylinders can go off like a rocket!!! They can take down the side of a house. Look at the YouTube links.

I have not seen anything that is in a house, that is the point, they are all set ups, all safety devices removed and put under extreme conditions, nothing like this could happen in the real world, show me one instance where an unvented cylinder has exploded in someones house, so there is a big argument, either substantiate your claims or shut up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back