MegaFlow versus Range Tribune

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:?: I am planning to have an unvented indirect hot water system installed. I had virtually decided on a Range 250L as recommended by a couple of friends but then noticed the MegaFlow system which seems to be the market leader. Does anyone have an opinion as to whether the MegaFlow is worth the additional cost?

Sponsored Links
Out of these 2 the megaflo everytime.

I would suggest you take a look at the Vaillant Unistor range, better quality than both in my opinion. ;)

Why Dan?

I have some reservations over sadia now, only cos they are now baxi and the after sales service has dipped somewhat but other than that they are a top product

Sponsored Links
Whats wrong with the Santon?

Its the second name of the megaflow and much cheaper and it has the advantage in my view of an external expansion vessel rather than the built in air bubble which causes so many complaints from owners.

Tony

Being made by Baxi is reason enough for me, but I have an inate distrust of expansion bubbles. Santons do not have a very good reheat time if I remember correctly.

Thanks very much for the replies and information. There is quite a big price variation between these items. I am struggling to understand the real key issues:-
- assume that all those that are stainless steel and 25 yr garantee are structurally sound. Some have a few more exclusions?
- reheat times - definately important - assume manufacturers figures are comparable?
- separation of new cold and already heated water - is one baffle system better than another
- flow rates - is there a difference given the same input from the mains
- or is there something else I have missed.
Thanks again

Gents

These comments about the air bubble in the Megaflo.

If a repeated problem with this occurs can it be overcome by fitting an external expansion vessel designed for potable water ?

gas4you wrote

As stated before Megaflos are notorious for problems with this, which is why I moved away from fitting them, even before Baxi bought them out

Out of these 2 the megaflo everytime

Whats wrong with Range tribunes if I may ask. ?

I seem to have lost a post - I believe Megaflo had a problem with their baffle being destabalised inside the tank throurgh turbulence...

Flow rates are largely governed by supply pressure and pipe size; athough Megaflo claim their Cold water combi valve will pass 55 litres per minute.

I think that is a little ambitious...

You can add an extra expansion vessel, but then you might as well just get a cheaper stainless steel cylinder with the same reheat times, same 25 years gurantee, and external vessel suplied, and not have to line the pockets of Baxi.

Santon have the same 25 yr guarantee and exactly the same heat exchanger. The main difference is the casing.

One point I haven't confirmed if the Santon has the same cold water inlet diffuser that is seen on Megaflo literature. I keep meaning to remove the immersion element on one and take a peek inside!

Im surprised we haven't heard the diatribe from Watersystems yet on unvented and his multiple personalities/profiles asking for opinions on thermal stores.

This what you need, all you need pre-plumbed and wired, works a treat for me! They give you an expansion vessel for the DHW and CH side, programmer and room stat for the same price as a Mega-flow!
range_tribune.jpg

htgeng said:
Santon have the same 25 yr guarantee and exactly the same heat exchanger. The main difference is the casing.

I thought they only had a 10 year guarantee which was the main cause of the significantly lower price.

I tried to get their tech help to tell me what was the difference. He had a hard time but tried to tell me the steel was a lower quality which I did not believe.

In any case who has even heard of a stainless tank failing? Thats why they can give a 25 year guarantee!

I have seen a few of the Ariston glass lined ones failing but all with the same problem! A leaking connection is left without being fixed and severly corrodes the welded on boss to the point the whole cylinder has to be replaced.

The Santon is my current choice on value for money. Baxi only bought the company! They have not spoilt the products ( yet ).

Tony

Balenza said:
gas4you wrote

As stated before Megaflos are notorious for problems with this, which is why I moved away from fitting them, even before Baxi bought them out

Out of these 2 the megaflo everytime

Whats wrong with Range tribunes if I may ask. ?

When my mate was manager of local Plumb Center he was always moaning that the range tribune had the greatest failure/return rate to his branch.

Watching this one with great interest, I'm comparing them at the moment too.

Opinions on a Keston Spa? Seems to have the biggest coil for a 210 version (33kW) giving a 13min reheat time.

Ariston Prima seems to be the next largest at 26.7kW. I've heard, very well built and Europe's biggest manufacturer?

gas4you - what were the Range tribune's failing on, do you know?
The Range seems decent value.

I'm not considering a Megaflo though as the few people I know with unvented's in new houses have had Megaflo's and had issues with them. Although I don't know what, I didn't ask.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back