MegaFlow versus Range Tribune

Very fast reheat times are only required for special applications like gyms amd in your house a reheat time of 20-30 minutes is quite adequate.

In any case you probably only need about 15 kW or 18 kW boiler power and fitting a 33 kW because thats the maximum a cylinder can absorb would be very expensive and greatly lower the boiler efficiency in normal use.

Fitting a slightly larger cylinder like 300 li will ensure that reheat times are irrelevant in normal domestic use.

During installation work and when the boiler is out of service many installations rely on a 3kW immersion and it always surprises me just how little problem that seems to give.

In any case many installations use direct cylinders which are only heated by the electric element anyway.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Buzzark, no I can't remember the fault or faults, only that he was fed up with the number of returns.

Reading up on the web it appears that Range have completely updated their manufacturing facility. However, have no real knowledge as to the truth of this. The three friends of mine who have Range systems are very pleased with them. All are pre plumbed units which may reduce the overall number of problems. My son has recently moved into a new Persimmon house and they have also fitted Range Tribune pre plumbed on the whole housing development (I assume this is a plus but also probably means that they get them cheap!).

Heh, there's nothing wrong with getting something for cheap as long as it's the same thing others are getting for more.

There seems to be different brands favored by different people in terms of unvented's. It seems to be fairly even though so you probably can't go too far wrong - except the Ariston seems to have an inherent fault with a rusty boss...

Sponsored Links
Aristons fault is a design one - they use glass lined steel. If the connections leak the rust effects the metal directly. Also if some warehouse gimp drops them.. the glassy no worky.

Always go for Stainless steel or Copper. Copper unvented cylinders are more expensive and have slightly lower running pressures (in general). They can however be made to order and come with any configuration or size.

We had one done for horizontal installation in some eaves. the factory forgot the baffle for the inlet, but once that was sorted the customer was extremely happy with it. I was surpised at how effective it was as the last Tornados that were fitted by our firm years ago were awful.

Dan_Robinson said:
Aristons fault is a design one - they use glass lined steel. If the connections leak the rust effects the metal directly. Also if some warehouse gimp drops them.. the glassy no worky.

Always go for Stainless steel or Copper.

:LOL: lol, sounds like a big thermos. Thermos, warehouse gimp... Dwayne Dibley anyone? http://youtube.com/watch?v=jnNnzD149M0

Anyhow, I take it that's in reference to the Ariston Classico the Dan, the Prima is stainless steel. Is that one OK or are all the Ariston's bad?

I think I'm personally favoring the Range Tribune or the Valliant which does extra fancy efficiency comunication things when twined with a Valliant boiler - apparently?

Ariston were rather out on a limb with their glass lined steel and experiences over 10 years have taught installers that they are not as reliable as stainless steel although they were a lot cheaper.

As far as I am aware Ariston stainless steel cylinders are as good as anyone elses but just compare the price.

Tony

The Ariston Primo is a good cylinder and we have had no problems with them. Matters they could improve upon are the removeable feet, and the crappy thermostat housing with no temp markings.

I agree with Dan that a poor experience with a helpline can influence one's decision; however, I doubt we'd be fitting anyone's boilers by now if we took this attitude across the board!

:?: Thanks for all the comment and advice. A couple of further questions. As part the project to install the unvented cylinder it will be moved to new (very strong) location in the loft immediately above the existing location.

Is it OK to leave the pump, Y plan, etc at the lower level and just have the pipework (and cylinder stat) routed upstairs?

Is it advisable to install an air separator?

Is there any real advantage in converting to an S plan if more extensive moving of pipework is considered?

Seeing as you have to have a 2-port valve for the cylinder anyway it seems common sense to change to an S-plan. They allow more heat to pass through than a mid-position valve (which if I remember rightly is only really geared for 60,000BTUs).

jenningsp said:
:?: I am planning to have an unvented indirect hot water system installed. I had virtually decided on a Range 250L as recommended by a couple of friends but then noticed the MegaFlow system which seems to be the market leader. Does anyone have an opinion as to whether the MegaFlow is worth the additional cost?

Fit a heat bank/thermal store. No annual service charge to keep a cylinder of hot water and better performance. Have an integrated CH and DHW version and the system will sing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back