Megger vs Insulation tester?

I picked up a used meggerinsulation tester on ebay, recalibrated by the firm that regularly sells them after they are deemed outof date. It has worked fine on the few occasions I have used it, and was a lot cheaper.

Out of curiosity, I ordered a Chinese one a few years ago. I does 50v, 250v, 500v, and 1000v, plus voltage measurement, with a digital display. Carrying out calibration checks, it proved to be well in acceptable specs.

Sponsored Links
Out of curiosity, I ordered a Chinese one a few years ago. I does 50v, 250v, 500v, and 1000v, plus voltage measurement, with a digital display. Carrying out calibration checks, it proved to be well in acceptable specs.
I picked up a Tenma (Farnell own brand) 72-9400 (appears to be a rebadged uni-t UT501) one at work (A university) some years back so I could check IR on some equipment I was building (any checks that were important would be done by someone else, but I wanted the ability to pre=test stuff myself). I did some quick checks and determined it was more than accurate enough for my needs and was indeed putting out approximately the voltage stated, but I wasn't particularly happy about how high the low end of it's range was, or about it's behaviour on under-range. I commented as such on the review I could find and also sent my comments to Farnell.

I have no idea if my comments ever reached anyone, but I have noticed that since then the model I bought was discontinued and replaced with the 72-9400A (appears to be a rebadged UT501A), which seems to correct the design defects.

Ultimately, with modern electronics, building an IR tester isn't rocket surgery. If a company has the capability to design a half-decent multimeter they can probablly design a decent IR tester.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back