Melted main switch cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got a callout on Thursday smoke head activating alarm in distribution room. Smell of melting PVC bit of investiagtion found this. Not the way I would have connected it am going tomorrow for a shut down new switch and cable with crimped lugs and proper connections.

Sponsored Links
Not sure how you would connect to that switch using crimped lugs?

What size supply was it?

Is it just me or does L2 look a bit smaller than the others?

You may find you need to replace the terminal too, if it has suffered any heat damage which it probably has.

It's the posxy new colours.

They just don't perform the same :-/

Sponsored Links
Lec, was not having a dig. :)

Just saying to the op it may be Tri rated.
Possibly straight off the main bus bars.
Should not really replace with normal cable and crimp lugs

IT is Tri rated now replaced with new piece and lugged terminals the proper way. This was shoddy work just stuffing it in and tightening the screws.
[/img]

I think I prefered it the original way.

There is one hell of a lot of exposed live parts on show there, and certainly no barriers between the phases.

I pity anyone who has to work in that board now.

What were you thinking of?

wtfbd9.jpg

:eek: :eek: :eek:

"just stuffing it in and tightening the screws" ?? = looks for all the world like that's how the cables are supposed to be connected, and then everything safely tucked away under that cover - you know, the one that once upon a time needed to be removed to gain access to live parts...

You should get back in there asap and do the job properly.

Furrels on the end of the tri rated would have been better.

I agree, tri-rated into terminals is not great.......but bootlace furrels are the answer.

You all do panic.!!

How could I take the picture with the barriers in place??

Sometimes I do worry.

There are barriere in place.

RF Lighting WHY would anyone be working LIVE in the board. Live working is not allowed unless I missed something recently??

Testing and inspection.

How do you do a Zdb if the board is not live?

Show me a picture of the MCCB or isolator with the guard in place.

I have worked in loads of squareD panel boards, and never seen anything like that.

You all do panic.!!

How could I take the picture with the barriers in place??

Sometimes I do worry.

There are barriere in place.

RF Lighting WHY would anyone be working LIVE in the board. Live working is not allowed unless I missed something recently??

Never used a long pair of oversized marigolds then

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back