Membership of the EU

What should the UK's relationship be with EU

• Rejoin/stay in the EU

Votes: 21 50.0%
  • Hard Brexit - let trade/market forces drive a deal and focus on new deals elsewhere

Votes: 19 45.2%
  • Soft Brexit - Change as little as possible and accept the limitations it brings

Votes: 2 4.8%

• Total voters
Sponsored Links
The only option that offers any benefit to the UK is Stay in the EU.

you don't appear to have voted?

Not enough options to vote on.

But the only option that provides long term security, prosperity, less job losses and a quicker route to rebuilding a better standard of living is to rejoin/stay in the EU.

I am yet to hear ANY argument (avoid hot air wishes) that brexit will benefit the ordinary man (or woman) in the country.

Sponsored Links
Not enough options to vote on.

But the only option that provides long term security, prosperity, less job losses and a quicker route to rebuilding a better standard of living is to rejoin/stay in the EU.

I am yet to hear ANY argument (avoid hot air wishes) that brexit will benefit the ordinary man (or woman) in the country.
Or indeed the country as a whole.

When Gove admits the bleeding obvious (lies), maybe it's time to reflect and think again?

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...its-leave-was-wrong-to-fuel-immigration-fears

"Michael Gove has admitted that the official leave campaign should not have stoked fears about Turkish immigration during the 2016 Brexit referendum.

In an interview included in a political book published on Thursday, the environment secretary, who was a key figure in the winning Vote Leave campaign, said that if it had been left entirely to him the leave campaign “would have [had] a slightly different feel”.

During the campaign Gove claimed that Turkey and four other countries could join the EU as soon as 2020, and their accession could lead to 5.2 million extra people moving to the UK by 2030 under free movement.

The Conservative minister was asked by Tom Baldwin, a former communications director for Ed Miliband, in his book Ctrl Alt Delete whether he had been happy making appeals to “some very low sentiments” * in the context of concerns over Turkish immigration. The minister replied: “I know what you mean, yes. If it had been left entirely to me the leave campaign would have a slightly different feel."

* For 'some very low sentiments' read 'some very thick voters' ;)

My preferred option would be to remain in a reformed EU and a new UK government

The least worst option at the moment is 1

"Michael Gove has admitted that the official leave campaign should not have stoked fears about Turkish immigration during the 2016 Brexit referendum.

I seem to recall that was widely discredited at the time.

Perhaps the EU would now like the UK to leave and to have Turkey join......Id like the EU try and squeeze £10B out of the turks each year :ROFLMAO:

I seem to recall that was widely discredited at the time.

Perhaps the EU would now like the UK to leave and to have Turkey join......Id like the EU try and squeeze £10B out of the turks each year :ROFLMAO:
Ah, the usual 'jokey' comment and a false claim when confronted with the truth from the 'wrong side' ;)

Did you vote leave ?

I did vote, which I now very much regret despite being a life long Eurosceptic, although pro European

Actually Im even more anti EU now, but I am also pragmatic and can appreciate the level of integration the UK has with the EU.

What I hate most about Brexit is the apalling treatment of the EU citizens living in this country. 'The three million' should have had their rights agreed from day one, not to have settled status agreed 2 years later and why not citizenship? In addition I hate the both the institutionalised and public toxic culture that now surrounds immigration.

Do not forget that if it wasn't for Great Britain and the rest of the English-speaking world, the whole of Europe would now be speaking German! Furthermore, in 1973 this country joined the Common Market, essentially a Free Trade area. Quite how the Common Market evolved into the leviathan which is the EU, spawning the unelected, unanswerable European Commission, which seems to have more powers than the elected Euro-MPs, on its way, defies all logic. It is also of note that, for the last 20 years or more, stories have been circulating that auditors have refused to sign-off the EU's accounts. Whether this is completely accurate is unclear, but there's no smoke without fire!

All this is compounded by various "little Hitlers" throwing their weight about, especially Jean-Claude Juncker, who even had the audacity to say that Great Britain will do as it is told! Do you remember that some countries gave their citizens a vote on the Lisbon Treaty? If I remember correctly, Portugal and Ireland voted against. They were told by the dictators in Europe to vote again! And they did. Brown, who was then Prime Minister at the time, initially had agreed to give us a vote on the treaty, but then reneged, as, had we voted, and it is likely the vote would have been overwhelmingly against the Lisbon Treaty, the threats from Brussels/Strasbourg would have been given the proverbial two-fingers. This is something he needed to avoid, as it would probably have brought down the Labour government.

In conclusion, Europe needs Great Britain more than Great Britain needs Europe. Should we leave the EU with no deal, then there will be lots of BMWs and Mercedes, along with Volkswagens, Renaults and all of the rest sat in the manufacturers compounds in Germany and France. Our new cars will be Nissans, Toyotas, and Hondas, which are built in the UK (from parts imported from Japan) plus Vauxhall (unless PSA pull the rug) and Ford (unless Ford Germany put the boot in). Then we will be importing cars from our new trading partners so you will see on our roads the likes of Chevrolet, Buick, and Dodge. We could even entice the likes of Hyundai and Kia to come here, thereby sealing the fate of the big European manufacturers.

I voted for Brexit, because I am totally disillusioned with what the Common Market has become. With hindsight, I should have voted leave in 1975 when the Wilson government called a referendum on continued membership of the EEC (Common Market).

If th EU come out with a much better deal. I'd vote to rejoin. My guess is they will not so I'd vote go it alone

how about a deal that limited Freedom Of Movement for EU citizens to those moving for work, giving them three months after which, if they could not show they were self-supporting, they could be sent back?

Ooops - my mistake. We have that already.

How about a deal that allows us to be one of the larger and most influential members, with seats in the European Parliament and the Council, enabling us to help fashion the rules?

Ooops - my mistake. We have that already.

How about a deal that allows us to export to the largest market in the world, without tariffs or other barriers, and to sell our services?

Ooops - my mistake. we have that already.

How about a deal that has brought two generations of peace in Europe? You father or grandfather may have fought a terrible war with France against Germany and Italy. Your great grandfather may have fought a terrible war with Italy and France against Germany. Your great great grandfather may have fought a terrible war with Germany against France. Your other ancestors may have fought against Denmark, or Holland, or Spain. Who have your sons fought a war against?

Oooopps - my mistake. We have that already.

So what is it you hope for? What did you think you were voting for in the referendum?

Sponsored Links
Back