Memera 2000 RCD won't reset

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a memera 2000 and the RCD switch is in the off position and won't reset. I have turned off all of the plugs in the house, and tried turning the individual switches off on the board and tried to reset it each time. When it tripped I wasn't doing anything unusual and hadn't just turned anything else on or plugged anything else in. Is anyone able to advise a way forward? I've attached a picture as it currently itls

Attachments

• PXL_20231201_204700017.jpg
    PXL_20231201_204700017.jpg
    253.4 KB · Views: 59
Sponsored Links
Some faults can trip a RCD even with the MCBs turned off. This is because MCBs are normally only single pole and there is often sufficent voltage between neutral and earth to cause a RCD trip.

It's also possible that the RCD is simply faulty. I don't think memera 2000 parts are made anymore, I think there may be some compatibility between memera 2000 and memshield 2 parts which are still sold albeit at rather high prices but I'm not 100% sure.

I would say the next step is to disconnect the neutrals from the RCD, either by disconnecting the connection from RCD to neutral bar or by disconnecting the individual circuit neutrals from the neutral bar. Then see if the RCD will reset. If it still won't reset with nothing connected that says you have a faulty RCD. If it resets with nothing connected that points more towards a fault on one of the circuits.

Be aware that unless you have a seperate isolator, the incoming tails will always be live. If the board has been installed well then it should be difficult to touch live parts with the main switch off even with the cover removed, but if the board has been installed sloppily this may not be the case. If you cannot isolate elsewhere then you should excercise *extreme* caution when removing the cover from a consumer unit.

I wasn't, but that has worked, thank you, panic over

Sponsored Links
I have out of interest put my clamp meter around the tails on my consumer unit and it shows around 23 mA, as to if a single RCD rated at 30 mA would hold not sure, as I have 14 RCBO's which are MCB's and RCD's combined. We were suppose to ensure back ground leakage is less than 9 mA, however there was no place to record the leakage, so likely never measured.

The problem is we test with an insulation tester which uses 500 volt DC, but we are using 230 volt AC and the latter can leak due to inductive and capacitive leaking, so there is always some back ground leakage, and the more cable used in the home, the more this back ground leakage is.

So very likely just 5 mA can take the back ground leakage over the point where it trips the RCD, just a little damp in an outside lamp for example, and neutral to earth leakage can happen even when items are switched off.

It is also hard with six circuits to work out which has caused the problem. The regulations say "Every installation shall be divided into circuits, as necessary, to: (iv) reduce the possibility of unwanted tripping of RCDs due to excessive protective conductor currents produced by equipment in normal operation" you have one single circuit as far as the RCD goes, so since 2008 when that regulation was published having one RCD for all has not really been allowed, however in the past RCBO's were simply not available, so electricians had little option but group many sub circuits together. It also says "(iii) take account of danger that may arise from the failure of a single circuit such as a lighting circuit" we would not normally group sockets and lights in the same room on one RCD, although the way it was worded did not stop one using one RCD, and in a caravan one RCD for all is still common.

So you have to do a risk assessment, can you afford to loose your supply, before moving I lost two freezers full of food, which since I was not in the house when the RCD trips I could not claim for, which is why this house is all RCBO. But a new consumer unit is not cheap, so you need to consider is it worth it. This house my freezers are now on an UPS supply, so even if the grid fails my freezers still work, powered with the solar panels and a large battery. You need to work out how important it is to you.

It's also possible that the RCD is simply faulty. I don't think memera 2000 parts are made anymore, I think there may be some compatibility between memera 2000 and memshield 2 parts which are still sold albeit at rather high prices but I'm not 100% sure.

Memshield 2 accessories do fit in Memera 2000 and Memera 2000AD

(But not the other way round)

The spikes on the busbar comb are bigger on Memshield 2

This is especially convenient with RCBOs. There are plentiful supplies of Memshield 2 RCBOs (not least on my shelf )

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back