RCD to Memera 2000

here's an ordinary one. It has only one busbar and only one neutral block so could not be used with two RCDs.

IMAG0155.jpg

Sponsored Links
heres a (larger) one intended for two RCDs. It has a main switch, can supply two RCDs (only one is fitted in the pic so far) and it has two busbars, two earth blocks and two neutral blocks. It would also have been capable of supplying one set of RCD protected MCBs, and one set not RCD protected.

POL_0113.JPG

The last time I looked into it I was told that parts for Memera 2000 boards were no longer manufactured and therefore you were talking serious money to get parts for them.

Memshield 2 devices fit them, and are still sold by the million because they are so popular in industrial and commercial installations. You can even buy used ones at low prices...

The ones in my pic have black print and the red/green indicator window. Some older devices have red print and no window.

IIRC they have a 10kA fault break, which is greater than the Memera2000AD. Not sure what the Memera 2000 is. Memera2000AD has smaller "teeth" on the busbar and a smaller aperture in the breaker so cannot be used in Memshield 2; but Memshield 2 devices can be used in Memera2000AD. I presume AD were cheaper. I have an idea they don't accept RCBO Pods.

Sponsored Links
indeed, though they may be safer than certain brand-new imports.

They are often stripped out of industrial boards, but sometimes from unused maintenance stock.

Many thanks for the excellent answers and helpful photos. Please see the photo of my existing consumer unit. It seems to only have one busbar, so I can conclude that fitting 2 RCD's is impossible on this board? However it has been cut in 3 places, so it is in 4 pieces.

Last edited:
I had an electrical inspection on my flat and was told I must get an RCD fitted to my fusebox to bring it up to standard.

The inspector misled you. The regulations are NOT retrospective and do not require you to make changes every time the regs are updated.

If it complied when it was put in you do not need to change it.

Many thanks for the excellent answers and helpful photos. Please see the photo of my existing consumer unit. It seems to only have one busbar, so I can conclude that fitting 2 RCD's is impossible on this board?

It does actually have two busbars and two neutral blocks, so the RCD side is separate from the non-RCD side. But it would take some tinkering and fabrication to modify it into two RCDs, as the existing connectors would not fit, and it would no longer meet the type-testing.

Adding RCBOs is a better solution, and very simple.

The inspector misled you. The regulations are NOT retrospective and do not require you to make changes every time the regs are updated.

If it complied when it was put in you do not need to change it.

Just some more background to my case (not the original poster), the reason for suggesting adding a RCD was to protect some existing lights and extraction fans in bath and shower-rooms around the house. I'm quite sure that these lights and fans were fitted when the house was built around the year 2000. The fans all have isolators. I have since replaced 2 of the fans, but the wiring etc. has remained unchanged. Currently the electrician is suggesting replacing the 3 unprotected mcb's with 3 RCBO's. But I was wondering about adding a RCD instead. Hence my recent post.

Last edited:
It does actually have two busbars and two neutral blocks, so the RCD side is separate from the non-RCD side. But it would take some tinkering and fabrication to modify it into two RCDs, as the existing connectors would not fit, and it would no longer meet the type-testing.

Adding RCBOs is a better solution, and very simple.

Thanks for the clear answer. So I understand that adding another RCD is possible, but not the best solution. Many thanks. I wasn't expecting such fast and good answers to this old thread! :)

It still doesn't make them legal now.

Do you live in a country where a law says you can be prosecuted and punished for not upgrading your home to modern standards?

I don't.

Do you live in a country where a law says you can be prosecuted and punished for not upgrading your home to modern standards?

I don't.
Sorry, but how does that mean that a fused neutral is legal irrespective of whether it was permitted at the time of installation?

I don't.

He actually lives in the UK, but does not realise it. So maybe he thinks he lives in a country where that can happen.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back