RCD to Memera 2000

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had an electrical inspection on my flat and was told I must get an RCD fitted to my fusebox to bring it up to standard. It is a Memera 2000 and has two main isolators as is Economy7. Inspector said that this requires only 1 part being replaced and not to be persuaded to buy a new unit.
:)

I phoned a couple of electricians regarding this and been told I cannot have RCD in Memera 2000 as it would be either an RCBO, which is not available for Memera 2000, or an RCCB so that if anything tripped it the lights would go out which is not safe. Therefore I must have a new unit.

:eek:

Who is right?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Okay, thanks. So it is just on the socket circuit not the isolator. That makes sense (given the thing about the lights). So it is really a matter of finding a supplier - and an electrician who can be bothered with such a small job.

The Eaton info says "Due to the unique method of construction any Memshield 2 SP or SPSN MCB can be fitted with residual current protection." So you should be OK.

I'm sure John D will be along in a minute or two, but I'm sure RCBOs are available for the memera 2000 consumer units (perhaps your sparkie's favored wholesaler doesn't stock them!)

As to swaping the main switch out for an RCB, its not a particuly elegant solution, but whether it complies or not depends on your exact interpretation of a certain regulation, the NICEIC interpret this as being a non compliance with:

314-01-03 A separate circuit shall be provided for each part of the installation which needs to be separately controlled for compliance with the Regulations or otherwise to prevent danger, so that such circuits remain engergised in the event of the failure of any other circuit of the installation, and due account shall be taken of the consequences of the operation of any single protective device

Its not as black and white as the NICEIC would have you beleive

brokeleccy said:
Okay, thanks. So it is just on the socket circuit not the isolator.

All socket outlets of 16A or less which can reasonably be expected to supply portable equipment outside the equipotenial zone (ie. outside of the house/flat) need to be protected by an RCD having an operating circuit of 30ma or less for additional protection against direct contact (touching something thats supposed to be live, for example if you cut your mower cable and manage to touch the phase conductor)

Next year when the next edition comes out we will need to RCD everything in the bathroom with the possible exception of the rubber duck! (this is likely to be done with an RCD for the bathroom lights) currently somethings in bathroom have to be on RCD depending on where they are, but next year its everything inc lights :(

Adam_151 said:
I'm sure John D will be along in a minute or two, but I'm sure RCBOs are available for the memera 2000 consumer units (perhaps your sparkie's favored wholesaler doesn't stock them!)

As to swaping the main switch out for an RCB, its not a particuly elegant solution, but whether it complies or not depends on your exact interpretation of a certain regulation, the NICEIC interpret this as being a non compliance with:

314-01-03 A separate circuit shall be provided for each part of the installation which needs to be separately controlled for compliance with the Regulations or otherwise to prevent danger, so that such circuits remain engergised in the event of the failure of any other circuit of the installation, and due account shall be taken of the consequences of the operation of any single protective device

Its not as black and white as the NICEIC would have you beleive

That just depends on your assessment of which circuit you consider "needs to be separately controlled ..... to prevent danger"

If you put the lights on the side that has the normal main switch, then I'd think you'd be OK with an RCD main switch onthe other side.

My immediate concern is getting my electrics compliant enough for the electric company to turn on the power but it sounds like the goalposts are going to move.

here I am.

Any RCBO from the Memera 2000 or Memshield 2 ranges will fit.

The 200AD MCBs are the same size, but are a bit cheaper,and do not accept the pod. So you or your electrician will take out the old B32 MCB and fit an MR30 RCBO pod on it.

I'll wager your electrician £50 that they are easily available and will fit correctly. I will even throw in a free near-new B32/30mA RCBO when I receive his payment (and will make a handsome profit on the deal).

edited to improve speling, grammar and to add more information and wager

I also have a Memera 2000 AD. It already has one 80A 30 mA RCD protecting the circuits rated above 6 Amp. So just the 2 lighting and 1 smoke alarm circuits are not protected with an RCD. Each of the 3 is on a B6 Mcb.
I have had an electrical test and been advised that the lighting circuits require RCD protection because they are supplying the bathrooms and fans etc. So an electrician has recommended installing 3 RCBO's in place of the existing 3 B6 Mcb's.

I asked if he could install another RCD on the board and have the existing 3 Mcb circuits being powered through the additional RCD. He said that the consumer unit would not accept another RCD. However there are 2 empty slots.
My question is, "Is it correct that the Memera 2000 AD can only accept one RCD?", or at least in my case no additional RCD's can be fitted? Many thanks.

If there are two empty slots then another RCCB could be fitted - assuming nothing else is preventing this.

However, you do not have to have this work done if no other work is being done - just for the sake of it.
If you are having anything altered on the bathroom lighting/fan circuit then it may be required

some of the cases were made to take two RCDs. IIRC they were manufactured with two neutral bars, and there was something different about the busbar, because it was delivered, or could be cut, in two pieces. I might have a photo or spec somewhere.

If yours was not originally intended to we used in this way, it probably doesn't have the facility to accept two.

The RCBOs are a superior solution.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back