mental plumbing system please help me!!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK now I know you will all think Im stupid but here goes. :confused:
I dont use my bath very often as Im more of a shower kinda gal but tonight I decided to run a nice long hot bath. :D
Water pressure is a bit slow so I go to make a drink and when I come back.....the toilet is flushing!!! :confused:
and continues to flush albeit slowly....all the time the water is filling the bath!
now what is that all about :?: :?:

Sponsored Links
Can be more common than you think! My guess is you have a modern toilet with push button flush and internal overflow. Running the bath lowers water pressure enough to upset the fill valve on the toilet and allow it to open and start filling (an already full) toilet cistern. This then overflows into the toilet pan. Expensive if you're on a water meter! :cry:

Sponsored Links
Changing fill valve in the toilet might stop it.

John, friends of mine had the same problem. Every time someone turned a tap on elsewhere the W.C. started overflowing down the pan.... With 6 kids in the house it happened quite a lot, and they're on a meter! That was first I saw doing this, seen couple of others with same fault.

Jelly, dont turn the bath tap on fully and that should stop the toilet.

The real problem is undersized pipework in the house and/or a restricted flow rate into the house.

To plumbers, presumably a double check valve in the WC feed will cure this?

Tony

You can always try lowering the water level in the cistern slightly - by adjusting the ball tap.

This is a push button cistern. They can be difficult to even open.

Once open the fancy float valves can be difficult to work out how they adjust.

Worse, if you lower the flow the already poor flush would get even worse.

Tony

There is not a poor flush problem, just a slow continuous flush.

A change in mains water pressure can only affect the flush valve when the filling valve is not fully closed, and a slight lowering of the water level can alleviate the problem. You are correct to state that it may not be easy to do this, but it could be the solution.

Try flushing the loo just seconds before you run the bath taps, might work...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back