Mercedes A200d -diagnostic help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

Hey, apologies in advance for the long winded essay. I have previously posted a quested but I don’t think I explained everything clear enough.

so I’ve got a 2019 Mercedes A200d premium. In January it broke down when I was sitting in it to warm up due to it being a frosty morning. I was sat in the car for all of 3-5 minutes when the car interior started to fill with smoke. Knowing that’s not right I switched the car off and got out, when I noticed the smoke coming from the engine bay. I left it 5/10 minutes before I opened the bonnet.

When I opened the bonnet I could see smoke coming from the alternator. Both the interior and smoke from the engine bay smelt like plastic/wiring ish.

The garage it originally went to thought it was possibly the starter motor, the alternator and was hoping it hadn’t done any damage to the wiring loom. But it would need a new battery and auxiliary battery the same time. Due to the fault codes thrown on the diagnostic.

I contacted my finance company as I only owned the car for 4 months which sent a third party mechanic to diagnose and asses the car who came to the same conclusion, I’ll attach a copy of the report.
9D9DAB16-5B1C-4762-B0C1-A209E8448F7C.jpeg
It’s since been collected and picked up by the dealership I bought it from who have run their own diagnostic on it but they now believe it to be the “air conditioning belt rubbing and causing friction which would in turn cause the smoke and smell”.

I’m no mechanic and have no clue what’s going on. Anyone have any sort of input ?

I do have a video of the engine smoking on the morning of it. Not sure if I can upload it to this thread though

Sponsored Links
Difficult to guess at but probably better taken to a mercedes dealer, im assuming its a mild hybrid system on that model which can complicate matters.

If the air conditioning was at fault, I can't see why this would throw up a starter fault code!
If an air con belt can't spin the compressor for whatever any reason, the belt will shriek and then burn....there will be rubber traces left on pulleys and physical and visible damage to the belt would be obvious. If the compressor had seized, it would remain so.
A starter motor would not last for minutes if it failed to disengage. It would be very noisy also, and you wouldn't miss this one - likewise if the car is a mild hybrid the alternator will be completely kaput if it's at fault.
So, you have three possibilities, and unfortunately the garage is no further forward than us!
We look forward to hearing the outcome.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Just because there are fault codes, it doesn't mean they are all, (or any), related to this issue.

Needs a thorough physical investigation and check.

Back