Metal ceiling earth

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've some hall lights to fit, with live and neutral only. They don't indicate they're double insulated. Should I connect an eyelight on the existing earth (which is blanked off in the old plastic bayonet terminal block) and attach to the new metal bayonet's ceiling fitting screw? Or just blank it off as before?

TIA

Sponsored Links
A bit worrying that they don’t say if they are class 2

Nothing on the box or instructions?

What does the connection block look like? Is it in an enclosure?
Does the light fitting have single insulated unsheathed wires? Or are they insulated and sheathed?

Sponsored Links
What does the connection block look like? Is it in an enclosure?
Does the light fitting have single insulated unsheathed wires? Or are they insulated and sheathed?
Just two core cable from the bulb fitting which can be cut to suit the 'drop' of the lamp.

A bit worrying that they don’t say if they are class 2
Isn't Class I the 'default' - i.e. if an item does not bear Class II markings, it has to be assumed to be Class I ?

I don't expect to see items bearing a marking which means "not Class II", do you ?

Can we have a picture?
thumbnail.jpg

Do I take it that it came with that 2-core cable connected to it?

Are there no markings (symbols or words)anywhere on the fitting? If they are,could we see a photo of them?

Do I take it that it came with that 2-core cable connected to it?

Are there no markings (symbols or words)anywhere on the fitting? If they are,could we see a photo of them?
Yes, cable's wired to light fitting and no markings anywhere.

Hmmm. The fitted 2-core cable implies (should mean !) that it is Class II - but if it were, it would/should bear a Class II symbol.

Where did it come from?
Amazon. I understand that they must be a bit naff, which you don't find out until you get them (and have disposed of the packaging the day before on the tip run!), so I'm just trying to make the best job of it. They're not replying to messages either... ;)

Amazon. I understand that they must be a bit naff, which you don't find out until you get them (and have disposed of the packaging the day before on the tip run!), so I'm just trying to make the best job of it. They're not replying to messages either... ;)
I imagine that most of us have been there :)

Is the Amazon listing still there for you to look at and, if so, does it say anything useful? Could you share a link to it for us?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back