Metal Conduit Used As Earth

Ok. I can see that may be possible on part of the route.

Otherwise, agree with Daniel.

But then, could be an older version of that's how we've always done it.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Just one thing with the consumer unit.

Be aware that the two RCCB/Main switches are separate and will both have to be switched off to isolate everything in the house.

Thanks EFLI
Are you saying my plan looks ok to do

I will double check it is a ring main

I will also make sure the efl is ok before proceeding.

Is the socket tester good enough to check?

Thanks for all the help, very quick

Hi
Yeh always do switch both of them off before doing anything electrical, I even hit the mane switch

Do any of the pros on here (or the DIYers with 'proper' test equipment) have an opinion on whether those socket testers give a meaningful earth continuity test?

Do any of the pros on here (or the DIYers with 'proper' test equipment) have an opinion on whether those socket testers give a meaningful earth continuity test?
I did once do some experiments with one of the Martindale ones, and it appeared to do 'what it said on the tin' - but it's probably debatable as to what is 'meaningful'.

The tester examined correctly gave "0-1.7Ω" answers for all of the sockets I tested it on in my home (true Zs in the range 0.5Ω to about 1.5Ω). When I 'topped up' to loop impedance to about 2Ω, it again correctly reported the answer as "1.7-5.0Ω". If that behaviour is consistent, then those results are, I suppose, meaningful.

I also used added resistors and confirmed that (just over the bottom of each 'range') it correctly reported 5-10, 10-100, 100-200 and 200-500 ohm loop impedances - but I'm not sure how useful any of that is. If the tester does not indicate "0-1.7Ω", I would think that further investigation (and proper measurement) would be indicated.

Kind Regards, John

Hi
Yes Sorry I do switch of all the switches, even though one is for lights and the other is for heating. I then check the lights and sockets to make sure they are dead. I like to make sure I am doing everything right, hence all the questions. I love DIY and do a lot but never to much with Electrics, It is something I would love to learn more about and this forum is a great place to hear opinions and get good advice. :)

What I have done in the past is used an appropriately sized screw to fix a flying lead via a ring crimp to one of the spare "vertical" fixing lugs in the socket.

That way I have found I got a decent connection without disturbing the original connection.

Hi
Would one of these be ok to use, If I rub the black paint of one of the pipes and then take an earth from this

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back