Metal distribution board needed for safety report?

I realise that but, particularly give that you're talking about an RCBO, a dying lamp could take out all the lighting - whether one was cooking, showering, watching TV or whatever.
Yes, I know - so could an MCB - but how far do people want to go? Are you saying that the lighting circuit must be split and glass doors be fitted? ... I don't know what you want me to say.
My personal view is that what you are saying is totally sensible/practical. However, a good few people seem to interpret the regs as requiring lighting to be split across two or more circuits (in terms of both over-current and residual current protection).

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
My point - not stated very well - about being plunged into darkness while cooking etc. was, of course, meant as a result of a fault in the cooker causing the darkness at the same time.

Obviously a lighting fault, itself, will result in darkness.

My point - not stated very well - about being plunged into darkness while cooking etc. was, of course, meant as a result of a fault in the cooker causing the darkness at the same time. Obviously a lighting fault, itself, will result in darkness.
... and that was obviously also my point - that if one has only one lighting circuit, one can be plunged into darkness whilst cooking, through no fault of the cooker or, indeed, through no fault of anything other than that one lighting circuit itself.

As I said, in the context of a small flat, I don't really see much of an issue, but there do seem to be people who believe that the regs require 'split circuits' in any dwelling!

Kind Regards, John

but there do seem to be people who believe that the regs require 'split circuits' in any dwelling!
I don't remember - do they believe a single lighting circuit should be split or have they just commented on the fitting of a single RCD or poor separation of circuits when two RCDs are fitted?

Sponsored Links
I don't remember - do they believe a single lighting circuit should be split or have they just commented on the fitting of a single RCD or poor separation of circuits when two RCDs are fitted?
I don't remember for sure, either - but since they seem to think that the reason a single-RCD CU being non-compliant is that "a single fault can plunge the house into darkness", I would expect them to probably feel that a single lighting circuit was also non-compliant. Let's face it, if you have suddenly been plunged into darkness whilst cooking or showering, the situation is (and any dangers are) exactly the same whether that has come about through a fault in the cooker, immersion heater or lighting circuit!

Kind Regards, John

I don't remember for sure, either - but since they seem to think that the reason a single-RCD CU being non-compliant is that "a single fault can plunge the house into darkness", I would expect them to probably feel that a single lighting circuit was also non-compliant.
Yes, but that means ANY fault, however trivial switching off everything.

Let's face it, if you have suddenly been plunged into darkness whilst cooking or showering, the situation is (and any dangers are) exactly the same whether that has come about through a fault in the cooker, immersion heater or lighting circuit!
I disagree. If cooking or showering and the appliance goes bang, it is better - frightwise - if the lights don't also go out.

I don't remember for sure, either - but since they seem to think that the reason a single-RCD CU being non-compliant is that "a single fault can plunge the house into darkness", I would expect them to probably feel that a single lighting circuit was also non-compliant.
Yes, but that means ANY fault, however trivial switching off everything.
You would have to ask 'them'!
Let's face it, if you have suddenly been plunged into darkness whilst cooking or showering, the situation is (and any dangers are) exactly the same whether that has come about through a fault in the cooker, immersion heater or lighting circuit!
I disagree. If cooking or showering and the appliance goes bang, it is better - frightwise - if the lights don't also go out.
I don't really think there is much of a distinction. Certainly in terms of RCD trips (rather than faults resulting in large over-currents), the appliance one is using (cooker, shower or whatever) may well not 'go bang'. The first thing one will be aware of (and frightened by) will often be the lights going out - and that will be exactly the same regardless of what had caused the lights to go out.

... but, again, I'm talking about 'them', not myself, so there's no point in trying to quiz me too much about their views!

Kind Regards, John

but there do seem to be people who believe that the regs require 'split circuits' in any dwelling!
If I were rewiring my house from scratch today, I would split the lighting circuits such that in the event of a circuit failure, there would still be lights illuminated on any given floor.

But I appreciate it involves extra work and cabling to achieve that.

If I were rewiring my house from scratch today, I would split the lighting circuits such that in the event of a circuit failure, there would still be lights illuminated on any given floor. But I appreciate it involves extra work and cabling to achieve that.
Fair enough - but that's a 'house'. What about my daughter's flat, with just three rooms (on one floor!), the doors to which all open into the 'entrance hall' within a metre of two of one another. Would you split that flat into more than one lighting circuit?

Kind Regards, John

With just three rooms, you could put the lighting on each room on their own breaker!

With just three rooms, you could put the lighting on each room on their own breaker!
You've not been reading :) My daughter's flat does, indeed, have three separate lighting circuits for her three rooms (one on an RCBO, the other two on different RCDs), so I can but presume that 'one circuit per room' is exactly what they did!

However, to return to my actual question, if, say, you were re-wiring a 3-room, single-floor, flat, would you create more than one lighting circuit?

Kind Regards, John

However, to return to my actual question, if, say, you were re-wiring a 3-room, single-floor, flat, would you create more than one lighting circuit?

Kind Regards, John

I think I'd seek to have one circuit for the hallway lighting and smoke detector, and the other rooms on another circuit. As the consumer unit is probably in the hallway, the amount of extra cable is likely to be minimal at most

I think I'd seek to have one circuit for the hallway lighting and smoke detector, and the other rooms on another circuit. As the consumer unit is probably in the hallway, the amount of extra cable is likely to be minimal at most
Fair enough. I doubt that amount of cable would be much of an issue, but the number of 'ways' required in the CU might. Assuming that the cooker and immersion (and electric shower, if there were one) had their own circuits, would you have just one sockets circuit, or maybe one for the 'kitchen corner' of the kitchen/diner/living room plus one other sockets circuit for 'the rest'. Assuming the latter, you would already be up to 6 or 7 circuits. Do I take it that you would have two RCDs, or would you put one of the lighting circuits on an RCBO, with everything else on one RCD?

Kind Regards, John

For a normal Two Up Two Down Terraced House etc....
Just split it half half each way.
One example would be this.

RCD One
Lighting Downstairs
Immersion Heater
Sockets Upstairs
Cooker and Hob.

RCD Two
Smoke Alarms
Lighting Upstairs
Fridge Freezer
Sockets Downstairs

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back