Metal pendant

Gfv

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've bought a metal pendant lamp shade. It has an earhed block in the ceiling rose attachment, however, I have a looped in system with 3 wires from the hole in the ceiling and the original fitting doesn't have sufficient fittings for this many wires. I'd use the old ceiling rose, however, it doesn't appear to be earthed.

How should I solve this?

Sponsored Links
The simple answer is get a different lamp shade! A little more info is needed, before 1964 many houses had no earth on lights, from your description I can't work out if it's just wrong fittings or if the whole system is too old. I have not seen lamp shades with earth connections so I would say best is pictures then we know what your talking about.

image.jpeg
Thanks. It's a brand new fitting so want to get it up. Please see pictures of new pendant fitting (black one) and wire...
image.jpeg

Your earth wires are there? That bracket needs to be properly fitted back into the light with the nut and washer or the light will not be earthed.

If the holes are too small for all the wires replace the connectors with bigger ones.
You will need an additional connector to connect all the wires from the loop terminal together.

Sponsored Links
Thanks. So, are you saying I can put the 3 earth, 3 live, and 3 neutral wires into each of the corresponding slots on that block? The other side hosts the wire from the flex, live and neutral only.

That bracket needs to be properly fitted back into the light with the nut and washer or the light will not be earthed.
I am concerned the metal work won't be earthed anyway as this seems to be a really poor way of making an electrical connection, with insulation one side of the lug and plastic the other. :confused:
zsdfsdfsdf.jpeg

Thanks you so much for your support.

I'm the diagram below, there is only one live wire in the original live bloc, I have x 2, see picture below. Can my x2 live wires go into the same space in the choc block of the new light fitting?

Regards earthing, the picture I've shared shows the unit disassembled.

image.png
image.jpeg

I'm the diagram below, there is only one live wire in the original live bloc,
That is the switched live block.
The centre one in the rose or the one wrapped with tape in the diagram is the permanent live block.

I have x 2, see picture below.
You must have a second (or more) light which is operated by the same switch.

Can my x2 live wires go into the same space in the choc block of the new light fitting?
Yes. They will have to otherwise the second light will not work.

Regards earthing, the picture I've shared shows the unit disassembled.
Freddo's worry is that the earth is only pressed against the body - not really connected - by the small screw which holds the block in place.

You should learn and understand how the circuit works.
//www.diynot.com/wiki/Electrics:Lighting-Circuit-layouts

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back