Metal Stamp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone,

I have a requirement to put a serial number on my boat, stamped onto it, for security. The boat is mild steel and the section where I would like to stamp it is approx 6mm plate. Can any advise a metal stamp that will do this. I've seen many adverts for punch type stamps (scewfix et al) but I don't know if these are any good. I need alpha and numbers. The only alternative to this would be to do the stamp on a brass plate and fix this to the boat, but this is not my preferred route as the plate can always be removed.

Many Thanks in advance

Paul

Sponsored Links
And the stamp can be ground off.
To stamp it you will need a firm base, you may be better engraving it, but again it can be ground away.

Something like the 1/4" high letter punches half way down this page should do the job, just hit them with a big hammer.

Jason

Sponsored Links
will need a big heavy block on the other side of the panel.

Small ones will be fine on 6mm plate, keeping it near to an edge will help. Anything bigger, and you might want someone to hold a dolly on the back if possible.

A sharp hit rather than a heavy hit is better :cool:
Although numbers can be ground out, if if they are invisible to the naked eye, there are ways of showing them up unless hey have been ground very ddeply, wich in this case would be probably right through the 6mm....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back