Meter checking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone know an accurate way to check if my meter is correct . I have a bill of £60 per month which seems a lot for a small terrace , 2 people and GCH . I have read the meter every day over a week and according to it I am using between 17 - 29 units per day .
Dave :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Do you have lots of computers and AV equipment left on standby all the time?

Is your fridge on the old side?

Do you use the tumble drier a lot?

Do you have an electric shower?

An electric hob?

A penchant for halogen downlighters?

mgdave said:
Does anyone know an accurate way to check if my meter is correct . I have a bill of £60 per month which seems a lot for a small terrace , 2 people and GCH . I have read the meter every day over a week and according to it I am using between 17 - 29 units per day .
Dave :rolleyes:

best way is to get another meter and place inline with the existing. both should read the same

going by 17 units per day, times 28 days and at 8P/unit, its 38.8

29 units is 64.96

altho there is normally a higher rate for the first X amount. see your bill for the price

You can get it checked. Ring up your supplier. There will be a charge if there is nothing found. I think it costs around £30.

Sponsored Links
Next time you go away on holiday, or even for the weekend, turn everything fully off except the F/F, and see how much clocks up while you're away...

I did a check last weekend when we were away from home. the meter clocked up 10 units over a period of 36 hours with only a small fridge /freezer running in the house and a small upright freezer in an unheated outbuilding.Apart from the clocks on the oven and video recorder every thing else was unplugged . does this seem reasonable ?
Dave

mgdave said:
I did a check last weekend when we were away from home. the meter clocked up 10 units over a period of 36 hours with only a small fridge /freezer running in the house and a small upright freezer in an unheated outbuilding.Apart from the clocks on the oven and video recorder every thing else was unplugged . does this seem reasonable ?
Dave

that works out at a constant 270W being used. sounds about right, with 2 fridges

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back