Meter condtion

As we are salaried we don't get that choice!
You might not personally get the choice, but your employer certainly does. Particularly if there is significant travelling involved (time, fuel, overheads), for them to send someone out to do a job for which they were being paid less than £65 would be unlikely to make much business sense.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links

Why what?

You might not personally get the choice, but your employer certainly does. Particularly if there is significant travelling involved (time, fuel, overheads), for them to send someone out to do a job for which they were being paid less than £65 would be unlikely to make much business sense.

Kind Regards, John

Ahh I see what you're saying, apparently a failed dual smart meter installation costs the business £150

BG will move the meter 2 meters away as long as its through no walls or cupboards for free.
Why?
Why what?
:?: Why is it that BG will move the meter 2 meters away as long as its through no walls or cupboards for free?
I can understand his problem - are you asking why BG will move a meter 2 metres 'for free', or are you asking why they will only do that so long as it is not 'through walls or cupboards'?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
:)

I meant, as it says:
Why is it that -
BG will move the meter 2 meters away (as long as its through no walls or cupboards) for free?

Why would you want to move a meter 2 metres on the same wall and why for free?
Obviously through walls and cupboards would be more work.

Why am I subsidising people who want to move a meter 2 meters away?

Why am I subsidising people who want to move a meter 2 meters away?
Although I did not express it in such terms, that was essentially what I was saying/asking. It obviously costs something (probably at least £65) for someone (whether self-employed electrician or an employee of BG) to go out and do such work - so, if they are not charging that customer for the time/travel/work they must, as you imply, be effectively getting payment from other customers.

Kind Regards, John

EON have said they can move it less than a meter for £65 which might be enough for what i need although id prefer to have it outside.
That presumably assumes that the 'cutout' is going to stay where it is, in which case it's a pretty trivial job. It's having the cutout moved which may cost £000s.

Kind Regards, John

When you say cut out do you mean the back panel everything is fixed to? do you think they will be able to take the meter off that im assuming that has to stay in place due to the main feed, but thats fine, i just need the meter moving over a bit so i can put a stud wall in in that area but still be able to access / see the meter reading. (ill still be able to access the main switch / fuse too just will be more akward i imagine.

That presumably assumes that the 'cutout' is going to stay where it is, in which case it's a pretty trivial job. It's having the cutout moved which may cost £000s.
When you say cut out do you mean the back panel everything is fixed to? do you think they will be able to take the meter off that im assuming that has to stay in place due to the main feed, but thats fine, i just need the meter moving over a bit so i can put a stud wall in in that area but still be able to access / see the meter reading. (ill still be able to access the main switch / fuse too just will be more akward i imagine.
No, I mean the black 'box' indicated below. It's not the 'cutout' (that box) which is the issue, but the fact that the incoming supply goes into it. As I understand it, DNOs are not allowed to make joints in vertical cables - so a joint would have to be made (underground) somewhere outside your house (where the cable is horizontal), and a new cable brought in to the new 'cutout' position - hence the £000s.
upload_2015-10-2_15-6-16.png

Kind Regards, John

i just need the meter moving over a bit so i can put a stud wall in in that area
The meter is pretty much directly above the cutout - how much space would you gain by having it moved? surely can't be more than a few 10's of mm?

If you don't have the cutout moved then the board it's fixed to will have to stay, BTW.

ill still be able to access the main switch / fuse too just will be more akward i imagine.
What main switch?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back