Meter Installers.......

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have been offered a job installing meters,governors etc & its really good money......just curious what other installers think of the job....good,bad,boring??

Sponsored Links
difficult to say without knowing what youre being paid,but, when i did it i only got paid for completed jobs, ie if the people were out,which they were more often than not...no money.

Well the current guys are coming out between 30-40 grand, its price work so your looking to complete between 7-12 meter installs a day, the customers know your coming that day but you can phone them the night before to arrange a certain time.

sorry but 30-40 is OTT

No way is it possible to make that from swapping over/installing meters

Sponsored Links
I thought that aswell but some of the guys are saying this, will find out....but installers in general do seem to be making alot more than service/maintainence guys these days.

12 meter exchanges in a day is not possible, I done meter exchanges for a while, you have to pressure test the system before you start, change the meter, then re-test the system, relight and check all gas appliances in the property, do the paperwork, this has to be written then sent via a computer in your veihicle, then travel to the next job, very rarely did I get houses in the same street to change, so at least 15min traveling between jobs, even though these jobs were pre-booked many times the occupier was not in.

thats cos your a pratt and a corgi spy kevin

stupid bit is they dont need spys

cos we aint got nothing to hide
might be helpfull to be able to ask now and then then

so have a word with thommo

i make no bones about what i am read my profile ;)

for a good whack of the year i aint in the uk just cant be assed to keep changing locations
everybody that knows me has both numbers btw :LOL:

was getting at least 450 take home about 32 grand per year
12 in day in average used a go book (computerized way of doing the paper work) depends if people were in ,if they were close to each other
but i got good run on the same streets mainly
yes some times had problems eg capping off, relighting ,dodgy thermocouples and having to explain to customer the reason why it wouldnt light
horrible customers when i had to cap em off
but it was a good job to start with and gave me some good basics and money
saying that there were 20 of us on the contract and i was allways in the top 3 fitters for fits per week maybe i was lucky
most i fitted was 20 in a day and 85 in a week but every thing was easy
meter boxes are gr8t

it did bore me in the end so i went fitting heating to challenge me more
i got tenner per meter
if some one wasnt in then i would post a no access card through
then you got a call to go back that day or later in week
its all about good planning and how hard you want to work
some times it was easier to throw a job back if i knew it was going to take me ages to do if i knew i had loads left on my work sheet
i used to meet up with the lads at the pub after sometimes and i had got 15 or something in they would be well cheesed off as they got 3 in or something

Jeffrey, was that recent then? The job sounds easy, did you have many med pressure meters to change? Heard they can be a pain when taking pressure readings.

no mine were just standard pressure regulators
it was about 3 yaer ago when i did it and yes if every thing goes easy then its a piece of cake come across commercial meters a few times but i never did them as different regs
never did quantum meters either just straight forward credit easy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back