meter tails

When changing a CU, the Tails must be 25mm, the main bonding must be 16mm

No they don't!! They have to have a higher current carrying capacity than the main fuse, so if you have a 60A main fuse then you can use 16mm tails and 10mm main earth!!

However fitting 25mm tails is good practice

16mm tails maybe, but not a 10mm earth ;)

Sponsored Links
OK, time to put this one to bed.

Lectrician & nozspark both quote that tails “have to have a higher current carrying capacity than the main fuse”. What page in the regs does it say that guys? I'm struggling to find it. I have read section 54 as Spark123 suggested but cant find it there.

I probably will use 25mm just to be safe but as a matter of principle I just want to see in 'black and white' where it tells me what I should do. Sorry if I'm being a bit thick here...

The days of regs that tell you what to do disappeared with the 14th. Ed.

The rule is :

In not less than Ib. In not to exceed Iz.

Look up the definitions in the regs - "SYMBOLS USED IN THE REGULATIONS"

As for determining size of the earth conductor, that's in 54.

Thanks securespark. You were still as reluctant as the others to tell me exactly where in the book to find this but I have anyway. Its 433.1.1 on page 73.
So the answer is that with a 60A fuse 16mm tails comply with the regs. Whew, got there in the end.

Sponsored Links
Not reluctance. I didn't have the book with me & could not remember the reg no.

But you wanted to know, so I told you all I could.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back