Method for working out the size of cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Apologies first off as i'm sure you have answered this question many of times but really need help explaining how to work out if its a 6mm2 or 10mm2 cable. I have searched the site but cannot find the answer and i'm not understanding the term measure the cross section...

What is the calculation i need to do to work out what size the cable is?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
You need to know what output power the electrical equipment is.
Then divide that by the nominal voltage rating.
This will give you your current rating.
Then find a suitable sized protective device (MCB/Fuse) that can deliver this current. The next highest.
This will then help establish the CSA of the cable that can carry the current safely.
Factors such as thermal insulation, grouping cables in same routes together, ambient temps, type of fuse used and voltage drop, could also effect the cable size.

Thank you for but what i meant was the cable which has been installed in my old shower i'm not sure if its 6mm2 or 10mm2 and i don't know how to measure the cable to determine this as i don't know the calculation/formula

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies, no the cable has nothing on the pvc only a bs number.

if it's twin and earth then 6.0mm will have a single core 2.5mm earth, where as 10mm will have multi stranded 4mm earth in it.

Assuming that we are taking about T+E cable here, then:-

6mm cable has a max overall dimension of approx 13.5mm x 7mm
and
10mm cable is approx 17mm x 10mm

In situations where you really cannot get at a conductor to measure it then fair enough, but why are so many people recommending poor alternatives like whether it has a stranded cpc, or the approximate overall dimensions of T/E, as perfectly acceptable ways to avoid doing it properly, i.e. measure the diameter of the damned thing and work it out!

Hi BAS,

I don't think it would be too difficult for the average person to measure the overall max. dimensions and be able to discern whether it was 6 or 10.
3.5mm difference in size is easy to see with just a ruler.

I might contend that it is easier than attempting to measure the dia of a core and then twiddling around with PI r sq'd.

Also, i wasn't suggesting anything, merely giving a bit of information which may have been some help to the OP.

For 6 and 10mm² you would need to measure a core using a micrometer,
multiply it by Πr² then times 7 as there will be seven cores.

That's the accurate method.

When faced with chosing between 6mm and 10mm, a belt and braces way is to use a 6mm and a 10mm thru crimp as a go/no go gauge.

:LOL:

I hope the micrometer would be calibrated and the measurements taken in a climate controlled environment.
Would you measure 1 core and multiply by 7, or do you think you should measure all cores?
I feel that one method may be acceptable, but other methods are the actions of desperately incompetent fools.

The best thing to do in this situation is to call an electrician and see if he has some on his van to compare against. You never know he might be also able to give you some good advice on what cable size you actually need for the circuit you have.

The wiring of a shower is a very serious undertaking as you have high voltage, water and a wet body - this can be a dangerous mix if you are just guessing.

Good luck with your project and be safe now :)

Martin

perhaps you can find a diy shop that sells cable by the metre.

i'm sure you could smuggle out an inch long piece of both sizes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back