MG Metro - overheating nightmare!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, my father and I have been doing up our 89 MG metro 1.3 for my mum to drive about. It had been sitting on the dirve for some years but is in immaculate condition.

Before taking the car for its MOT we took the car to a local Mechanic for a once over to see if we had overlooked anything, on the way the car overheated! a lot.

the heating fans always seem to blow cold air as well

The mechanic informed us that the head gasket had probably blown, we collected the car and replaced the head gasket, which did not appear to be blown, the car still overheated. subsequently we have replaced the thermostat, (waterpump had been replaced previously) flushed the engine several times, removed the radiator and flushed, checked all connection of the cooling system and cannot yet diagnose cause of the overheating. We did think we had fixed the problem once and took the car for its MOT which it passed, went out first tine after about 10-15 started to get hot.

Anyway - my dad is now in the process of trying to access the heating unit from inside the car, he is swearing a lot.

So if anyone can help shed some light on why this car/nemesis continues to overheat we would really appreciate the help

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Back