Middle-aged Man Disease

Well, I have heard it said that a degree only helps you get your first job after Uni. After that, it's all down to experience and how you come across in the interviews.

Everything else being equal (and I mean everything, i.e. confidence, personality, the lot), I would prefer an Oxbridge grad.

That could partially be snobbery, I can't rule it out.

In favour of the "pure snobbery" argument, Oxford and Cambridge can cherry pick their intake. So, they start off with the brightest, keenest people. Perhaps it is easier to turn out a genius if you start with a genius? Also they have the tutorial system, so there is plenty of one-on-few and one-on-one education. Much better than cramming 200 people into a lecture theatre. And then there is the surrounding environment. The picturesque surroundings of the ancient cities is far more relaxing and healthy than barging your way through a grim post-WW2 inner-city.

However, the degrees are quite simply, harder. That isn't to say that degrees elsewhere are easy, they aren't. A degree is earned, not taken. But,

I went to Imperial College, London. That is generally held to be a pretty decent science and engineering university. In many fields, people often hold it as THE best in the country. I studied physics there. Now, I have compared notes with other physics grads from other institutions and in many cases discovered that I have covered more material to a greater depth. One of the HR staff at my company approvingly nodded at "Imperial College" on my CV, and said "With Imperial we generally consider the degree classification to be one higher", in other words they consider a 2:1 from IC to be equivalent to a First, a 2:2 to be equivalent to a 2:1 and so forth.

I've even turned out to be better at mathematics than a maths grad I work with... and in my first year I was put in the "thickies' " maths group :eek:

So, to summarise, I think it is genuine that an Oxbridge degree is better.

You must get it in all forms of education. I'll bet there are trade schools that are seen as the dogs danglies and others that are seen as a bit poo. You come out the other end as competent, but from the better school you might be better.

Sponsored Links
AdamW said:
I went to Imperial College, London. That is generally held to be a pretty decent science and engineering university. In many fields, people often hold it as THE best in the country. I studied physics there. Now, I have compared notes with other physics grads from other institutions and in many cases discovered that I have covered more material to a greater depth. One of the HR staff at my company approvingly nodded at "Imperial College" on my CV, and said "With Imperial we generally consider the degree classification to be one higher", in other words they consider a 2:1 from IC to be equivalent to a First, a 2:2 to be equivalent to a 2:1 and so forth.

Yes, same can be said for people who got degrees pre 1990, i.e before they got easier. ;)

A cheap shot I know, but I couldn't resist :LOL:

dg123 said:
I am 41 and have a beard, I have had a beard since I was 19, had long hair when I was 19 but not enough now for a pony tail (not enough for an ant's tail!). I never went to university, I tried sixth form life but lasted 3 hours. I preferred to go to work and have money.

we could be twins :) :eek: just one year out.
Al:cool:

Sponsored Links
Back