'mini-ring' circuit & cooker

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

When doing some renovation work in the kitchen I put in a 'mini-ring' circuit to supply a future new cooker & dishwasher. The wiring is in standard 2.5mm2 and goes to a 32amp MCB in the consumer unit. There will be no outlets or other applances on the circuit.

The time has now come to invest in a cooker & Im a bit worried that I might have snookered myself (the flooring is now in so no easy way to change wiring). The cooker that Im looking at is 5kw load & the dishwasher 1kw. Will the cable/MCB be ok to supply this ?

All advice gratefully received :confused:

Sponsored Links
No, the cooker needs to be on its own dedicated circuit (radial)
This work is also notifiable to your LABC under part P of the building regs.

Accessories to BS 1363 may be supplied through a ring final circuit. (433.1.5) but except for that where a single protective device protects two or more conductors in parallel there shall be no branch circuits or
devices for isolation or switching in the parallel conductors. (433.4) which continues with equal and unequal sharing of load.

So short answer is no you can't supply cooker as it is not to BS 1363 but you can supply dishwasher which will be to BS 1363.

Part P has already been referred to.

If only the cooker was supplied and the current sharing between the two conductors is within 10% maybe it could be used. But then you could not also used the dishwasher.

But any registered electrician will have a copy of the regulations and can advise you. And unless you want to pay council £115 then using a registered electrician is only legal way to get it connected.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back