Minor works cert

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Job was

1 Replace fan in bathroom.

Replace existing fan that sounds like chain saw with new fan.

2 Repair Cooker socket.

Cooker fed in 10mm to cooker switch
from cooker switch in 10mm again to 2 single sockets in cavity under hob and behind cooker.

one socket fed in 2.5mm and jammed into other socket fed with loose 10mm.

replaced and made safe.

--------------------------------------------------

Problem is no rcd in full flat. TN-C-S, fed via a BSEN 60898 B10 on lights, B32 on cooker.

if there is no RCD, i imagine i write this down as a departure?

could someone please confirm this for me

Sponsored Links
If I read correctly you have only replaced/repaired appliances and accessories.

You haven't installed any cable that would necessitate installation of an RCD.

Therefore I would not class it as a departure.

I would just make a note in 'Comments on existing installation' and explain to the customer.

to repair the cooker circuit

i replaced 1 socket with a cooker outlet plate and went from this to an existing socket in blue and brown 6mm/2.5mm cable of a length approximatly no more than 6 inches to a socket outlet that was already there.

If the circuit protective measured have not been altered.
Any departures in comments:
cooker circuit not RCD protected
Providing the cooker is no greater than 15kW output 32A is fine.
what cable did you replace with what?

Sponsored Links
to repair the cooker circuit

i replaced 1 socket with a cooker outlet plate and went from this to an existing socket in blue and brown 6mm/2.5mm cable of a length approximatly no more than 6 inches to a socket outlet that was already there.
So you did not replace like for like then?
In that case I would consider doing an EIC, little more time but arse covered!

i replaced a 2.5/1.5mm Twin and earth red and black with a piece of 6/2.5mm twin and earth,

when i removed the sockets to check them, one is fed with a 10mm cable and the previous installer jammed a 2.5 in there too. the cables were loose in the back of the socket.

so where there were originally 2 single sockets there now exists 1 cooket outlet plate fed with the 10mm cable, from this cooker outlet plate a piece of 6mm replaces the original 2.5mm and refeeds the existing socket in a dual accessory box.

wish i had just replaced two singles for a double now

In that case I would consider doing an EIC, little more time but a**e covered![/quote]

for 6 inches of cable?

Surely a MWC would cover the replacement of a damaged cable (which would not be reportable)?

In that case I would consider doing an EIC,
I don't think that applies - it's still minor work.

The question is - should an RCD have been fitted for a six inch run of cable between two accessories behind an oven where noone is going to drill or nail.
Perhaps you should have put them next to each other but I'll stick with my original reply.

cheers for your replies i appreciate the comments.

the other day at work, in someones house, i disconnected a shower that was fed off the downstairs lights. the guy removed a smoke detector cut the three core 1.5 cable JB'd it and then ran a 6mm to a pull switch and then to the shower.

he even replaced the 6A wylex MCB with a 32A MCB to make sure it didnt trip. and put the smoke back in its base so no one was the wiser.

for the sake of a piece of 6mm cable that is 6 inch long in a dual accessory box hidden behind a cooker i will just MWC it. if i end up in prison or getting sued then it will really show how broken the system is.

To cover yourself, if that 6milli you put in feeds a socket, you should label the socket as a dedicated supply for the cooker (or whatever).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back