mirror screws

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a plain mirror that we want to hang using mirror screws. It has holes drilled in the corners and we've bought some mirror screws from B&Q, but I'm not sure if that's all I need.

I thought there should be some sort of rubber grommet or cushioning around the screw so that it doesn't press directly onto the glass in case it cracks it, but the screws are just plain metal.

Can I use them directly or do I need some kind of grommet. If the latter, where do I get some and what are they really called ?

Sponsored Links
There should be a plastic washers that come with it. Are the cap clipped on or dome head bolt type that screw into the screw head.

Them type don't have any washers with them which I don't agree. I normally use 'O' ring seal they use for plumbing such as repairing taps. Be careful not to overtighten the screws.

Sponsored Links
Ones I usually use have a stepped plastic washer one part fits the hole in the mirror, wider part is countersunk to take the mirror screw.

Jason

put rubber o rings under the screws and i would advise under the mirror
as already suggested and dont overtighten the screws as already suggested
o rings usually free from plumbers merchants ours anyway 50 p tops :)

thanks everyone.
I should complain to B&Q - what's the point of selling mirror screws that are not "fit for purpose"; don't imagine I'll get very far though !

I have used the mirror screws you had bought many times without problem. I usually fix a piece of foam double side tape behind the mirror near each screw. This will take up any irregularitis in the wall & act as a cushion for any movement. It is not necessary to use plastic sleeves/bushes.

I'm with DIYisfun. Any sort of washer front side looks awful and foam behind would be much better. I prefer the flat chrome tops to the domed ones; they hide the reflection of the hole in the glass better.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back