Misfire on renault clio 2000

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,
Any thoughts on what could be causing a misfire on 1 cylinder on a renault clio.
Have changed plugs and leads as garage discovered the right most one was not working (and the plug was fouled with gunk) it seemed ok briefly but now misfiring again... hoping for an easy DIY fix if anyone has experience of this?
:D

Sponsored Links
The coil packs are notorious for failure on these.....pencil type if it's a 16v, all in one if it's the 8v.
A compression test wouldn't go amiss, if you have the tester......just in case!
John :)

Sponsored Links
Yep, easy enough to change.....the pencil type means one long thin coil per spark plug, the block type has the four HT leads coming from it, one for each plug. Maybe have a look at Google images?
Post a pic if you think you need more help, and I suspect that the coil is the problem. However, other issues can cause the plug to oil up and fail.

Yep, easy enough to change.....the pencil type means one long thin coil per spark plug, the block type has the four HT leads coming from it, one for each plug. Maybe have a look at Google images?
Post a pic if you think you need more help, and I suspect that the coil is the problem. However, other issues can cause the plug to oil up and fail.

Thanks. Googled it and saw what you mean. Also there was a thing it said to try, taking the plug out and plugging the lead into it and trying to start to see if it sparks- i just tried this with all of them and they all are sparking... could it still be the coil?

That's why I recommended a compression test mate......although the spark test is pretty reliable, when the plug is in place it has to fire against engine compression, which is more difficult for it.
One point.....is the yellow engine management lamp on?

Back