Misplaced gas pipes??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My neighbour is having a new bathroom installed. They have run a gas pipe from the gas meter along the side of the house, round the front door and into the upstairs bathroom. The pipe is completely exposed on the side of the house. (picture can be supplied). Doesn't look safe to me - can they do this?????[/img]

Sponsored Links
yes a picture would help.

but as kevplumb says,exposed pipes are allowed, but there are regulations on type and distance of pipe clips, etc;

it also depends on what you mean by exposed

Sponsored Links
I have followed the FAQ answer and sent a photo to be put on the post.

It just looks strange that gas pipes are going up the side of the house - the picture will show exactly what I mean.

Would be grateful if you could help.
Alison

Fine but do they still need coating in bitumastic paint?

David

They were only fitted today so maybe there is more work to do.

As a complete layperson here putting gas pipes up the side of a house seems a bit strange - don't they usually go under the ground or under floor boards?

Aliwat said:

As a complete layperson here putting gas pipes up the side of a house seems a bit strange - don't they usually go under the ground or under floor boards?

People hang santa's from the side of houses which I find odd. Not wrong though

David

Just re sat my CCN1 and there was no mention of bitumastic paint

you can run your pipes externally but you must take care that they are portected against damage.

running them under your floor boards could have cost more and caused major disruption so maybe it was easier to run them externally??

Aliwat said:

What's more dangerous: A gas leak inside the house or a gas leak outside?!

It may be legal but I wouldn't be happy with that pipework on the front of my house, gas or water.

Apart from the uglyness what if the window cleaner caught it with his ladder etc.
Boxed in or sheaved would still look ugly.

no worse to look at than that waste pipe.

cheaper on installation costs to

whats wrong with that....lovely. once its weathered u wont even see it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back