Mixer Shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Firstly I have what I believe to be a gravity fed Hot water supply and a mains fed cold supply. However the hot water cylinder is actually downstairs rather than upstairs and the boiler is upstairs. From the kitchen tap, I ascertained that the flow rate of the hot water was 7 litres per minute.

Secondly, I would like to fit a shower over my bath but don't want to start ripping tiles off (rented accomodation). Therefore I can either fit an electric shower and get all the electrics installed or get a thermostatic bath mounted mixer tap.

Could someone please tell me the best solution based on information i've given. If you need more info then please let me know.

Sponsored Links
You need to know what head you would have at the shower head. i.e. how far above the shower head the tank is that feeds the hot water cylinder. Although the work is in the scope of DIY you would need the landlords permission.

If the head is sufficient you would have to connect a new cold water feed from the tank so the hot and cold water supplies are balanced for the shower. The take off for the cold water on the tank has to be lower than the hot.

For an electric shower you would have to have it installed by a Part P approved electrician and get the certificates signed off and handed to your landlord. There are legal reasons why the Landlord would cannot allow you to do the work yourself unless you are a qualified electrician and can do the paperwork required!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back