MK 50amp ceiling pull switch switching action?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just had a shower switch replaced with the above, but I can't understand it's switching sequence:
switch on (neon comes on and shower is powered up)
switch off
switch on (neon off and no power to shower) but indicator wheel shows red
switch off
The sequence then starts again..........................what's it all about alfie????

Sponsored Links
It's a brand new switch............I've pulled it about 50 times and it follows the same sequence without missing a beat............

Sponsored Links
Still think it's faulty.

My theory is that there is a peice in the mechanism that is supposed to be rotationally symterical and goes through a complete rotation every two switching cycles and that there is some fault with that peice that makes it only work one way round.

I had a brand new one do exactly the same about 18 months ago.

It is a faulty switch.

Crabtree make the best 50A pull switches by a mile.

Jeez................ain't life hard enough without manufacturers producing unreliable goods! shame on you MK! I'd like to fit the Crabtree but it's round and the existing stuff is square

Faulty switch all right, had a new MK one do that before.

MK and Crabtree still the best for 50 amp pull switches though.

Given the decline of the quality of MK stuff lately though, it's interesting that their 50 amp pull switches is one of the few things left from their old design...

I've just bought another MK switch from screwfix this time, it worked twice and then developed exactly the same fault!!!! all I can say is FOR GOD'S SAKE DON'T BUY AN MK 50 AMP CEILING SWITCH, I wonder how many other MK products are substandard or could the market be flooded with cheap snide copies? I know there's a massive industry in snide circuit breakers.

I've just bought another MK switch from screwfix this time, it worked twice and then developed exactly the same fault!!!! all I can say is FOR GOD'S SAKE DON'T BUY AN MK 50 AMP CEILING SWITCH, I wonder how many other MK products are substandard or could the market be flooded with cheap snide copies? I know there's a massive industry in snide circuit breakers.

Are you sure your pulling hard enough to fully move the mechanism, first time

What's happening is the little mechanical flag changes from off to on, but the switch contacts don't actually close. Pulling the string again switches the switch off and pulling it a third time switches it on and the contacts actully close this time.

Their switches take four pulls to complete the mechanical cycle inside the switch.

Take the switch back (again) and fit a crabtree if you want a reliable installation.

Or forget the whole idea of clunky ceiling switches, and use a proximity switch concealed behind a tile which operates a contactor.

What a sexy idea, is there such a thing as a behind tile proximity switch?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back