Mk701 shaver socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. I have a MK K701 shaver socket which comes with safety isolating transformer attached to back of facing. Just wondering if this can still be installed within zone 2, as transformer is within facing and not installed outwith zone 2.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Yeah it does - has that BS number on the back of shaver socket. Cheers for your help

Sponsored Links
Thought as transformer is with terminals it would still be classed as in zones, but guessing I am mistaken. Cheers.
As an electrical accessory, a socket outlet, it is.

But the transformer part is not, and I thought that was what you were worried about.

Do you mean that below the surface of the wall is not within any zone, or what?
No, it's not, otherwise people might find themselves bound by Zone regulations in WCs, bedrooms, passages and so on. Zones stop at walls, and the transformer in a shaver socket is not accessible without using a tool.

No, it's not, otherwise people might find themselves bound by Zone regulations in WCs, bedrooms, passages and so on. Zones stop at walls, and the transformer in a shaver socket is not accessible without using a tool.
So are you suggesting that one can put any accessory in any zone of a bathroom provided that it is recessed a millimetre or two below the surface level of the wall?

Kind Regards, John

Simply in a recess below the level of the surface of the wall around it, no, unless the surface of the wall happens to be right on the boundary of Z2.

In a recess with a cover which requires a tool to remove, yes.

Simply in a recess below the level of the surface of the wall around it, no, unless the surface of the wall happens to be right on the boundary of Z2. ... In a recess with a cover which requires a tool to remove, yes.
Hmmm. Maybe I've misunderstood. I thought that the OP was concerned about the transformer which was part of his 'shaver socket', and which attached to the back of the face plate of that accessory (which he suggested was "not without Z2"), and that (by answering "yes it is") you seemed to be suggesting that (even if the accessory was 'in' zone 2) the transformer which was an integral part of that accessory would not be. Have I misunderstood?

Kind Regards, John

No, you have not misunderstood.

The transformer which concerned the OP is not in Z2.

No, you have not misunderstood. The transformer which concerned the OP is not in Z2.
I'm having some difficulty in understanding your point. Are you saying that, although the face plate of the shaver socket is (presumably) in Zone 2, that the components which form part of that accessory are not? ... and, if so, what is the significance of that (given that you couldn't have the transformer without the face plate)??

Kind Regards, John

The significance is that the OP was concerned that the transformer is in Z2.

It is not.

Why he is concerned, IHNI.

The significance is that the OP was concerned that the transformer is in Z2. It is not. Why he is concerned, IHNI.
I see. Don't you think that your response to his questions/comments about his concerns will have simply confused him?

I also would imagine that, even if it doesn't have much/any actual significance, a good few people would probably disagree with your academic argument that the 'back parts' of a flush-mounted accessory are not in Zone 2 even if the face plate is.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back