Shaver socket always on

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm about to have a shaver socket fitted in my bathroom. I've got an MK K701 unit. It's big and chunky with an isolation transformer which I'm not that keen on. There are smaller units which i've seen in continental hotels which i believe are unacceptale in UK. I'm concerned that the tranformer will be always on and using a small amount of power, yet a switch in the bathroom cabinet may not be permissible. I'm trying to avoid a proliferation of pull switches as there are already two in there.

How is this usually dealt with?

Sponsored Links
Well use a shaver light like everyone else and the transformer only works when the lights on.

Some shaver socket/transformers only are energised when something is plugged in to the socket.

I dont have a list in my head, but I'll bet a search on Google would identify the right one!

Sponsored Links
I'm about to have a shaver socket fitted in my bathroom. I've got an MK K701 unit. It's big and chunky with an isolation transformer which I'm not that keen on. ... I'm concerned that the tranformer will be always on and using a small amount of power...
It won't be - see my recent reply to TTC. The transformer of the K701 you have will only be 'on' when a plug is inserted into the shaver socket.

Kind Regards, John

I'm about to have a shaver socket fitted in my bathroom. I've got an MK K701 unit. It's big and chunky with an isolation transformer which I'm not that keen on. ... I'm concerned that the tranformer will be always on and using a small amount of power...
It won't be - see my recent reply to TTC. The transformer of the K701 you have will only be 'on' when a plug is inserted into the shaver socket.

Kind Regards, John

That's good to know. Many thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back